Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok, so most of us use PVC pipe. It's inexpensive and easy to work with.
If you need guidance on how to install pvc pipe, we can help you with that.

Then there's areas where you may need a flexible hose and the best thing for that is schedule 40 flexible PVC. It's totally compatible with all standard schedule 40 ridgid PVC fittings and also the primer and glue. It comes in white or black. I like the black for inside the pond. It's less noticeable.

Both standard PVC and flex PVC can be buried if you like.
I personally have all my plumbing within the pond and bog, so if anything leaks, no water can escape the system.

Don't waste your money on the common corregated "pond hose". It wont last very long and you'll get frustrated with constant leaks.

Try to incorporate a means of easy disconnecting of your pipe/pump for winter removal or general maintenance. The best thing for this would be a union.
Second choice would be a rubber Fernco coupling.

Ive already installed some simple pvc set ups. I know the simple use of it but for a pond is it any different, meaning anything I should know , tricks , tips ect..?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ive already installed some simple pvc set ups. I know the simple use of it but for a pond is it any different, meaning anything I should know , tricks , tips ect..?
Nope. PVC is all the same.
Clean the joints with the primer then glue it together.

As I stated before, make sure you have a means of disconnect (a union or Fernco) if you need to service something or shut down for winter.

One tip I can think of:
Cut your pieces and dry fit them. Draw a line across each connection with a marker so that when you glue it, your putting it together exactly the same by lining up the marks. That glue sets up pretty quickly and there's no turning back once it starts setting.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Nope. PVC is all the same.
Clean the joints with the primer then glue it together.

As I stated before, make sure you have a means of disconnect (a union or Fernco) if you need to service something or shut down for winter.

One tip I can think of:
Cut your pieces and dry fit them. Draw a line across each connection with a marker so that when you glue it, your putting it together exactly the same by lining up the marks. That glue sets up pretty quickly and there's no turning back once it starts setting.

and when you say in the pond, how exactly do you hide it best? I guess on the exterior part of the pond would it not be just laying down on the grass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
and when you say in the pond, how exactly do you hide it best? I guess on the exterior part of the pond would it not be just laying down on the grass?
I have an inch and a half black schedule 40 flexible pvc from my submersible pump running along the length of the floor in my pond.
It's black, plus with all the biofilm you probably wouldn't even notice it unless I pointed it out.

It's covered at the wall between the pond and bog by stones, so you only see about 6" where it exits the water.

You see, I'm a bit paranoid about leaks. I've had a few incidents in the past.
One major leak was my own fault when I forgot to tighten a hose clamp. I lost almost all my water and one huge koi died.
That's why all my plumbing is now within the pond/bog. If there's a leak, there's no water loss.
Again, that's me being paranoid!
Do whatever you feel looks good and is best for your situation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope. PVC is all the same
Agreed but when using flex pvc you will enjoy working with that a whole lot more if you use pressure fittings they just are a little longer in the pockets when putting them on flex pipe it works t hat much better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agreed but when using flex pvc you will enjoy working with that a whole lot more if you use pressure fittings they just are a little longer in the pockets when putting them on flex pipe it works t hat much better.
Good point.
There definitely are different depths of the glue chambers between some fittings.
Obviously, the deeper the slip depth, the more surface area for the glue.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
received_737401100833511.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It is not completed, there is work still to be done, I need to shorten the back shelve (near fence) to submerge the rocks a little bit more. I also meed to purchase more larger rocks to fix the waterfall since I ran out. And I will be adding river stones where the black liner is showing for a more natural effect, near the waterfalll behind , I wil be addinf earth and plants ect.. to get rid of that valcano effect. All in all , I am pleased so far but much more work to come.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ill be posting more pictures as we go along.

Question: Should I cycle with fish or without fish?

I have purchased beneficial bacteria to try and speed up the process a little.

What are your opinions on cycling the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like to seed the pond with bb. And I use inexpensive fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You get what you put into the pond if you use a soso filter and pump you can't expect the pond to be anything but. If you plan out circulation filtering fish type and fish load.then you should have a pond you can be proud of and enjoy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looks really great so far! Good work!

You have a lot of excess liner. Don't cut any of it. Just fold it and hide it under rocks and soil. You never know when you might need a little more liner.

Or....you can do what I did.
Lift the rocks you already have, lift the excess liner and dig out a little more to expand the pond. It doesn't need to be too deep where you do this. Even if it were shallow it would make the pond appear larger. You don't need to lower the water to do this. It's not hard to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks great, Jesse. Congrats on getting it running.

As for suggestions, I'd either raise the grade of your soil all around the pond to sink the rocks further into the ground or dig the shelf out to set them deeper. Best approach kind of depends on how much space you have and how much extra dirt you have laying around.

Ask a Question