Canada
20220731_180227.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koipen is probably a better place to get that answer . my take would be some use medicate food oxilonic acid koda farms. has the directions for making it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
None on his fins have red lines just his body where it is white. He is acting completely norm

koipen is probably a better place to get that answer . my take would be some use medicate food oxilonic acid koda farms. has the directions for making it
Yes, go to koiphen.com for answers....

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A white fish will take on a pink hue, or show red streaks, when stressed because of high ammonia levels. Gills will also be red.
Thanks for the reply, Gills are not red, and when testing water with a liquid test ammonia was at 0ppm.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did I see correctly that your pond has only been running one month? Has it fully cycled already? What about nitrites? How long ago did your ammonia return to zero as the first part of establishing your nitrogen cycle?
It has been I think almost 2 months
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 10-15ppm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
It has been I think almost 2 months
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 10-15ppm
How long ago did your pond finish cycling? When did your ammonia and nitrites go up and then down? If it was very recent then perhaps it could be residual inflammation?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How long ago did your pond finish cycling? When did your ammonia and nitrites go up and then down? If it was very recent then perhaps it could be residual inflammation?

To be honest with you, I dont know. I did a sorta fish in cycle. I bought beneficial bacteria, had the pond running for two weeks , then added the koi. They have been inside for around 1 and half months. When I noticed the red veins I decded to purchade a liquid test kit. All other fish are fine with no signs of red veins. All fish are eating , and acting normal ect..

I do weekly water changes about 15% and use prime with beneficial bacteria.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
To be honest with you, I dont know. I did a sorta fish in cycle. I bought beneficial bacteria, had the pond running for two weeks , then added the koi. They have been inside for around 1 and half months. When I noticed the red veins I decded to purchade a liquid test kit. All other fish are fine with no signs of red veins. All fish are eating , and acting normal ect..

I do weekly water changes about 15% and use prime with beneficial bacteria.
That makes it tough not having any idea how recent it was or how severe the ammonia and nitrite spikes were, it can be quite deadly if you add a lot of fish at once to an uncycled system and it can take a few months for the survivors to recover. I do agree with the others it’s probably worth double checking on Koiphen to see if they have any further insight. If you do ever build another pond add one fish at a time (or a couple very small fish at a time), with 4-7 day intervals in between and daily testing. I was able to silently cycle my pond this way (I had the benefit of having run two aquariums prior to the pond).

It’s surprising to me that your pond is newly cycled and the nitrates are already at that level all while you are also doing water changes. This can be a sign of potential overstocking if it keeps building over time. You’ll definitely want to keep an eye on that; more plants may help some.

Generally speaking, weekly water changes really shouldn’t be needed for a pond. I have never done an intentional water change in the past year my pond has been running (there was an accidental one when a disconnected hose partially emptied my pond), and I’m running a very small pond close to what many would consider an overstocking point, but with the bogs and the heavy plantings so far water quality has always been pristine (knock on wood).

Ask a Question