Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The 3rd Koi displaying the same symptoms is died. I also noticed that My Koi that were white in color are looking more pinky/beige is this normal?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am also starting to get a lot of hair algea? any ideas on how to fix that? I have a 9 Watt Uv , I just ordered a 18 Watt Uv since my canister filter can only hold 2 Uvs light inside. I have a few plants, should I purchase many more to help out?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like you don't have a berm / build up around the pond. Run off from rains and coming across from the neighbors can be a big problem .

It is also a newer pond?
Has it had time to mature?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It looks like you don't have a berm / build up around the pond. Run off from rains and coming across from the neighbors can be a big problem .

It is also a newer pond?
Has it had time to mature?

It has only been running for around 1 month.

A berm? I dont think so, I also noticed when it rains the water gets very brownish looking.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It has only be running for around 1 month.

A berm? I dont think so, I also noticed when it rains the water gets very I think it is mostly from the

I think it is mostly from the river stones and large rocks I put around, the rain is cleaning them into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Possibly but more than likely the rain once on the ground is making its way to the pond a bad thing algae will be out of control and ulcers car be common place.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Possibly but more than likely the rain once on the ground is making its way to the pond a bad thing algae will be out of control and ulcers car be common place.
When you say a berm what exactly do you mean? The pond has the liner that is covered with river stones around the whole pond, then about 8" I have large rocks that are covered in water by around 3"to 4". Sorta like this exact picture

Where the grass is , I technically have river stones and then grass.

Attachments

• rock edge_LI.jpg
    rock edge_LI.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you say a berm what exactly do you mean?

The idea is to make sure that the top edge of your liner is higher than the surrounding dirt/grass at all points around the perimeter of your pond. A berm can also be made behind the liner to stop water on the ground from getting closer to the pond several feet before the edge of the pond.

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 1.48.34 PM.png

Ask a Question