Koi pond size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It matters not the number of pumps used as long as the desired flow rate is achieved. Question here is your UV rated for that high of a flow rate?
Are you plumbing this with a bottom drain and/or skimmer?
The uv filter is rated at 12500ltr

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am building a raised pond that wraps around my house. Reason for the wrap around is that I want to look at the pond from both sides of the garden but also we live next to a busy road so will also have a waterfall on both sides to drown out some of the noise.
My question is my pond is 4.2 feet wide just under 4ft deep and 29 feet long. Is it wide enough for some koi and how many do you recommend I keep in this size pond.
My filter is a Oase biotech premium 80000
Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum mate where in the UK do you hail from ?
Val and I are from Plymouth and are concidered the founding fathers of the Plymouth koi keepers society BKKS .
A wrap around pond m'mm well its different thats for sure but I am more than a tad concered with and thats flow rates etc as you have alott in the way of length and corners to contend with , I'm thinking aboout possible dead areas in the pond such as the corners .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think @C-Note has a similarly shaped koi pond. She runs two separate filters, each their own pump and has a water fall on each end of the pond. She also owns a pond vac and vacuums debris regularly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum mate where in the UK do you hail from ?
Val and I are from Plymouth and are concidered the founding fathers of the Plymouth koi keepers society BKKS .
A wrap around pond m'mm well its different thats for sure but I am more than a tad concered with and thats flow rates etc as you have alott in the way of length and corners to contend with , I'm thinking aboout possible dead areas in the pond such as the corners .

Dave
Hi Dave. I'm up in sunny Shropshire. I made a mistake in my calcs as the pond is 12500 Ltrs so will turn over once an hour. I did think about the dead areas so have bought a pump that can pump over 10 meters. The inlet will be arround the other side of the pond to the filter. The water fall is fed by a separate pump. Hoping that would be enough. Has it rendered today so it's getting closer. Reason for the wrap around is that we live close to an A road which can be quite noisy. The water falls are on each side of the house to give us a more pleasent noise to the road as we love being outside. I have kept and bred African cichlids for yeahs in the past so excited and looking forward to koi. Cheers, Andy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think @C-Note has a similarly shaped koi pond. She runs two separate filters, each their own pump and has a water fall on each end of the pond. She also owns a pond vac and vacuums debris regularly.
Hi I will defiantly be investing in a pond vac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg Here is a photo of todays effort
image.jpeg

Ask a Question