Koi Potty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm making these aerated bottom drains to sell.

Attachments

• koipotty.jpg
    koipotty.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 327
  • koipotty2.jpg
    koipotty2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 346
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Making?

Is it a 3" drain? Tell us what you've done here...Looks like a 7" aerator...

Looks like the Koi Toilet 3" with a black aerator. Nice job. I will post my modification soon of the Koi Toilet II

Reaction score
Oh, sure, he's selling it NOW! Where the heck was your gizmo when I needed it 3 months ago? LOL!

If he's gonna tell me that it's cheaper than what I bought my modified 3" drain for, I will cry. Don't tell me the price, DoDad!!

Oh, wait, DoDad may have his own MSRP on it, and he can't tell us unless we PM him. LOL! LOL! HA HA!

Reaction score
gambitmac said:
Why is there such a large gap? looks like few small koi would get sucked up.

Never physically saw a Koi Toilet up close, but my guess is you can adjust the height once when you install it. The Koi Toilet II has "feet" on the dome so it is at reccomended height. This one looks like it is modeled after the Koi Toilet.

Reaction score
Right. Many BD's work the same in that you simply screw the dome down to be just about 1/2" above the liner. Basically just enough to get your fingers underneath.

If you happen to get something underneath, you can simply unscrew the top to release whatever it is.

Reaction score
Ah, well, Squidhead has a 3" aerated prototype that he's about to unleash on the world. Perhaps you can distribute it for him, DoDad. LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope it's different than Kent's. I wouldn't want Squidhead to copy that one.

Reaction score
DoDad said:
I hope it's different than Kent's. I wouldn't want Squidhead to copy that one.

For the forum's DIY directions purpose, I did copy Kent's. It is just easier and less expensive to do Kent's unless you already have the tools to do my original idea. Based on diagrams from the internet, and explanation from people on the forum(s) and actually contacting Dream Pond themselves, I came up with my own version of Kent's mod before even seeing it. The only thing I have against me is testing them to see what works best. I haven't even finished my pond. I also have some ideas for a complete DIY BD w/aerator on top without using any parts other then what you can get at a plumbing supply or hardware store with exception of the aerator. I even have an idea how to DIY one of them when I get a chance. I'll have some extra liner left to tinker with that eventually. Oh well back to the mod. My first mod came out good, but it's not the one I am using, so I will put the DIY later tonight.

Reaction score
I have Kent's, and have now seen Squidheads up close and they are different. Same principles obviosuly as there's only so much you can do to a bottom drain, but slightly different materials, piping, leg style, etc.

Squid has not physically seen Kent's drain, nor my pond yet. I've seen his stuff several times and for a first time pond builder, he's got the knack of things. Half the battle on building a pond is being creative with the DIY side, and Squid has managed to be clever on that front. From what I can tell Squid built his drain for less than half of what I bought mine for. Sigh!

Reaction score
I hit a little snag with the new modification. I didn't take into consideration the restricted room there is in using the side inlet elbow. I didn't have the right fittings and when I went to Lowes, they didn't have what I needed. I could have recovered using other parts but there is no reason to make it that complicated. If I don't get what I want, I may just go with my original idea. It's really all the same.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
I'm not clear on what happened? Do you mean the air inlet?

First, I forgot to Thank You for the kind words...so Thank You for the kind words:lol:

By inlet I meant the part of the elbow that has the air line going thru it. The one that you saw assembled and the one Kent made have what is called a "low heel inlet 1/4 bend". As we where discussing having the inlet at the heel is OK if you are running your airline to the left, right or oposite direction of your 3" pipe. If you are placing the air pump in the same location as the filter and utilizing the same trench for the plumbing and airline, like I am, then you have to make a complete 180. If you use what is called a side inlet, the airline would enter from the side. I just realized there is a "high Heel inlet" that would be even better then the low one because there is less chance of "crap" getting stuck in there.

Getting back to the one you saw, I am thinking of reversing it. By this I mean putting the inlet on the bottom and the stand pipe would just come in from there. Maybe Kent did this also, I don't know. The only one I saw of his was on another forum from about a year ago. It was set up like mine.

There is so many ways to do this, I am just not sure which one will be best. I have to either make a new one, or take the one you saw apart and lower the stand pipe. Now that I made it so the disc diffuser can go down and be flush with the top of the dome, the stand pipe is now the 1/8" I lowered the disc diffuser too high. The only way I can remove it is by boring it out since it is cemented in place........Holy Crap, I hope you where able to follow, I just confused myself.

Ask a Question