sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is he injured or acting strange like gulping air .Have you tested your water .It could be just temp. changes .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Skimming the surface is quite normal for many, Most of mine do this at feeding time and few do it all throughout the day. watch it close and make sure it can go down deep and stay there on it's own, If it does while watching watch for anything else out of the ordinary. My bets is it's enjoying the warmth near the surface after a cold winter. As long as it doesn't get spooked it may do this for quite some time, just make sure it's not staying at the surface constantly, That can be a sign of a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Skimming the surface is quite normal for many, Most of mine do this at feeding time and few do it all throughout the day. watch it close and make sure it can go down deep and stay there on it's own, If it does while watching watch for anything else out of the ordinary. My bets is it's enjoying the warmth near the surface after a cold winter. As long as it doesn't get spooked it may do this for quite some time, just make sure it's not staying at the surface constantly, That can be a sign of a problem.
I agree but we have to remember we are all coming out of winter about now when all fish are at their weakest because of the winter thus are open to parasites.
Keep a close eye on the koi if he starts flashing i;e rubbing his sides on he bottom or any rocks you may have then you'll know he has.
As Larkin mentioned if he cant go down it may be a swimbladder problem.

rgrds

Dave

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Dave 54 said:
I agree but we have to remember we are all coming out of winter about now when all fish are at their weakest because of the winter thus are open to parasites.
Keep a close eye on the koi if he starts flashing i;e rubbing his sides on he bottom or any rocks you may have then you'll know he has.

rgrds

Dave
I agree with what Dave states as well. Also got me to thinking, Is it gasping mouth up at the surface as it swims? this is another sign that there could be a water quality or Oxygen issue. If that's the case a test of the water is something that needs to be checked to make sure everything is in order.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
fishin4cars said:

rgrds

Dave
I agree with what Dave states as well. Also got me to thinking, Is it gasping mouth up at the surface as it swims? this is another sign that there could be a water quality or Oxygen issue. If that's the case a test of the water is something that needs to be checked to make sure everything is in order.
Yes it may well be a water qoality problem as Larkin correctly says it may be an idea when your into spring propper to check your filtration is clean and you have no dead leaves etc on the bottom of your pond which should be done prior to winter normally along with your filter to help viod an aeromonas infection in spring which cn if not caught result in problems such as ulcers dropsy etc
Question
Have you had any heavy rain of late this will also effect your water quality as well ?

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question