Koi Types

Reaction score
Have you guys had any luck determining the names for the koi color patterns you have? I printed out a couple of charts and some desriptions and after the 6th fish I just gave up. This isn't required for koi owners is it, the Koi Authority isn't going to show up one day and quiz me about the types of koi right? Do you guys bother with it, or just enjoy your fish? I know which one of those I plan on doing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol buckry, I just call mine pretty, the goldies and shubbies. Even if I had kio it would be the same, pretty fish, and enjoy them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'd like to know the types mine are, but like you I can't figure it out looking at the charts. I don't think I could pronounce the names anyway even if I knew what they are. So for me they are just Frank, Carla, Bandit and Drake. The kids have to give them names, they got mad at me bc I wouldn't let them name every single goldfish too. Who could remember 28 names anyway!

Didn't you say you got yours from Next Day Koi? Didn't they classify them?

Reaction score
Yeah, but I only bought 2 individual fish, the other 15 were assortments. Maybe that's where I went wrong, I should have made the experts telling me what I was getting and buy only 1 fish at a time. The 2 individuals were classified, but these were two easy ones to remember Platinum Ogon and a Hajiro. Easy, I really need help with the Menkaburi Kohakus.

Reaction score
lol Jen you should have just let them name them as long as they didn't expect you to remember them.. Buck, I have thought about it and just haven't gotten around to it, when i bought the first couple the guy did tell me and i can't find the piece of paper.. the other two or three i might try just in case someone ever comes over and asks...but my failsafe plan is like what has already been said, i got them cuz i liked the way they looked not for the scientific name

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I've been through the same thing. All 42 fish have names, some are actually the kind of fish and that's the only name it has at this point but all have names. I started taking on the challenge of learning the different types. Still far from good at it and you may or may not know this but some fish will change not only in coloration but in type as well. some do not change (Such as Sanke) it may start out three colored but falls back to two, but it will always still be a sanke. However take a Ki Kikokuryu. It could lose the yellow and and become a kikokuryu, or it could take on a deeper golden orange coloration and become a Kin Kikokuryu. Another change that can take place is a Tancho Kohaku can become a simple kohaku if it loses the red spot on the forehead, But even if it is turns solid white it would still be refered to as a Kohaku. If you woulds like I can try and identify and tell you what each fish is, But I would need individual pics. also let it be known that I am a novice at this as well so I may not be 100% correct. But it gives me a challenge to figure them out. I have also been trying to learn the Koi lanquage. As a simple pet owner no it's not necessary, But get around people that show and they take you more serious when you identify what you have, the breeder, and how old. All that lanquage comes from japanese lanquage so learning how to pronounce some of the words gets to be a challenge in itself.
My question is this, Where did you come up with Menkaburi Kohakus? That's totally new to me and I can't find anything that would even be close to that name.

Reaction score
I have a fish that I believe is a Menkaburi Kohaku. Kohaku is a white fish with red markings, and Menkabuki means the red is only on the head. I found it on one of the 3 websites I used to begin this process. The first one only talked about main categories, the second one talked a little bit about the types in each category and the third one had hundreds of photos of fish and descriptions of each one. I sort of used them in ascending order of complexity until I felt like I nailed it down, but it's only good for easy answers, the ones that don't quite fit any category are impossible to ID.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BTW, Just a little bit of FYI.
Scientific name for Koi is Cyprinus Carpio
Japanese name is Nishikigoi
American and UK name we simply referred to as simply Koi
The names that are given are only descriptions of the colors to help identify specific traits for breeding stock and help classify for the judges to judge each type.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
OK Red on the head would be a Maruten. A Maruten has a distinctive red color on the head but also has more color on the body, a Tancho has red on the head but no additional color except white on its body.

Reaction score
OK, so that's another problem, now the information is conflicting. One style with two names. That's not cool.

Reaction score
Ok, I googled all of the above names, they really aren't that similar, so I guess no one is conflicting, it's just a really complicated thing to talk about. Anyway, I give up, it's not worth it.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I found it easiest just to learn the different types from NDK. Once you get most of the basic names down ( Kohaku, Sanke, Showa, Shiro Utsuri,) the rest start coming little by little, Your right it's very confusing and not a simple task to learn at all. Then when you think you have it about all figured out, some breeder will come up with a new name that throws a whole new twist in the scenerio. My biggest problem is trying to figure out some sanke and showas. Some are simple others are flat out hard to tell.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
What kind are these guys?? the two big ones live in the top pond, the one is orange and has gold flecks that shine in the sun, the other is white with the orange on the head. Those two always swim together, had them in that pond for so many years and the never left the pond since they were real small.

The other koi is multicolored and has long fins and tail. I have others that are smaller, have not got good pictures of them yet. These three are my favorite cause they are so friendly. :)

Attachments

• IMAG2979.jpg
    IMAG2979.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG3113.jpg
    IMAG3113.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMAG1546.jpg
    IMAG1546.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAG0809.jpg
    IMAG0809.jpg