Labeling Waterlilies Over Winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Has anyone labeled their water lilies in the pots when they sink them in the pond before winter. When my guy cleans out my pond in the spring they all get mixed up and I can’t tell what’s what. There are certain ones I want higher on the ledge. I’m trying to figure out a good way to label the pots safely and still be able to read the label the following spring. Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe put a squirt os spray paint on each pot. Different color for different variety. Keep a legend in a drawer somewhere for reference.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ihave used metal tags, permanent marker on tags, and other tries, the names poof away. So now don't worry about them. But I also never have a spring clean out done.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started using different colors of cable ties. got a box of 6 different colors, one for each color of lily. Amazon has several sets available
Good idea, I got to the point I don't care.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was going to suggest poking a hole in the pot's rim, then running a zip tie through it. Can either do a color-coded system or go numerically if only using black zip ties i.e. 1 tie, 2 ties, 3, 4, 5, etc.. Can either poke more holes or possibly loop them. Be mindful of anything hanging loose in case it snags a fish or frog or turtle. If you pull them tight and snip ends off, consider using wire snips and cut it evenly and as close to the buckle as possible. Cut at an angle, with just enough slime on your hands trying to pull a waterlogged pot out, could actually cause a nasty cut, and bacteria in the pond would be inserted directly into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was going to suggest poking a hole in the pot's rim, then running a zip tie through it. Can either do a color-coded system or go numerically if only using black zip ties i.e. 1 tie, 2 ties, 3, 4, 5, etc.. Can either poke more holes or possibly loop them. Be mindful of anything hanging loose in case it snags a fish or frog or turtle. If you pull them tight and snip ends off, consider using wire snips and cut it evenly and as close to the buckle as possible. Cut at an angle, with just enough slime on your hands trying to pull a waterlogged pot out, could actually cause a nasty cut, and bacteria in the pond would be inserted directly into it.
Most of us in the electrical industry don't cut, we twist off the excess of a ty-wrap. Cutting creates a razor sharp edge that will slice you bad.
We grip the tail tightly with our linesman pliers up close and then keep twisting until it breaks off.

Another way is use a tiny precision pair of flush-cut diagonal pliers, but cut through from the sides, not on the flat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Love all the helpful answers here! I'll be even more helpful and agree with @addy1 - no spring clean out! But hopefully you just have someone coming to clean out leaves and debris and get the pond ready for another season. The typical "clean out" (ie empty the pond, power wash everything) is hard on ponds.

And how about tell the guy you're paying to keep track of which one comes from where and get them back where they belong?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of us in the electrical industry don't cut, we twist off the excess of a ty-wrap. Cutting creates a razor sharp edge that will slice you bad.
We grip the tail tightly with our linesman pliers up close and then keep twisting until it breaks off.

Another way is use a tiny precision pair of flush-cut diagonal pliers, but cut through from the sides, not on the flat.

If you cut flush with the buckle, it shouldn't be sharp. I normally use small wire snips though, and snip flush. Never tried twisting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thank you everyone! I’ve got some good ideas here. Your posts bring up another question. Why no spring clean-out? My pond is pretty funky after winter. Teach me, Master Po!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I guess it depends on what you mean by a 'Spring clean out'. Many people drain the pond fully, scrub everything to a state of brand-new clean & then refill with new water. This is what NOT to do! You don't want to remove all the beneficial bacteria & micro-organisms that cling to all the surfaces & exist in the fully cycled water, or you run the risk of developing 'new pond syndrome' again each time.

Now, if you mean just draining (but saving!) the old water, removing any piles of leaves/debris that might have accumulated on the bottom, dividing plants, tidying up gravel or rocks that might have moved or shifted, then refilling with the old, saved water - that's OK to do. If there really isn't a ton of accumulated 'stuff' in the bottom, it can also be accomplished without the draining - just use a fine net & scoop, scoop, scoop.

If you've turned off your pump/filter over the winter, once it's fired up again & things start to circulate, that really helps a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
It’s quite a mess. Lots of muck and algae in spring. I’m going to try cleaning out just the bottom and see if that makes a difference. The pond looks great for a few weeks then watch out. It’s a different mindset than what I’m used to.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't do any major cleanouts. I net my ponds in the fall to keep leaves out and trim back all the plants. In the spring, run a net along the bottom to remove any leaves and plant debris. The only water changes are when I open my filters to flush them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
never do water changes, never net the bottom, never scrub anything, never flush the bog, just turn back on the second pump, take down the winter tent, and bring up the lounge chairs. I know, I know; terrible. How do I maintain my sanity?? That's what LBTP is for...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No spring clean out here either. We just scoop out any leaves that drifted in over winter- some years that's barely any, some years it's a boatload. Depends on how quickly the pond ices over before the winds start blowing in the leaves from neighboring yards.

For some folks, springtime brings a lot more work though, especially if you have. lot of trees around the pond. Many people find a net helps cut down on the amount of work they need to do in the spring.

How big is your pond @Corgi Mom ?

Ask a Question