Labeling Waterlilies Over Winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
My pond is 1,500 gallons and 3 feet+ deep in the middle. I have a horrible algae mess in the winter. I live in Western New York where we get below 0 frequently in the winter and the pump is shut down from late November until April (depending on the weather). Nets aren't practical over the winter as we get a lot of snow which destroys the net and it will freeze into the top of the pond. (Been there!)

I run a bubbler continually through the year but you can imagine what happens by then. It looks like the Incredible Hulk exploded. I think I'll try your approach and not get a clean out next year. I'll suck and clean up as best I can before winter and see what happens. I found a cheap way to make a pond vac which I'm going to try. I have everything that's needed. Pretty clever!

You Tube:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you'll be much happier. Remember, every time you clean out and refill a pond, you're starting all over this a brand new ecosystem. By the time winter hits again, your pond is just getting itself in balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Yes. I can see that happening now. My pond is usually cleaned early May and the algae mess I have at the end of May looks like I didn’t do anything.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
never do water changes, never net the bottom, never scrub anything, never flush the bog, just turn back on the second pump, take down the winter tent, and bring up the lounge chairs. I know, I know; terrible. How do I maintain my sanity?? That's what LBTP is for...
Yeah I am not alone! Except taking down the winter tent, never put one up. Do need to put the pump back in action I remove for the winter, external pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
This is a completely foreign concept to me and will take some adjustment. But I will try it next year and report back. Do you all live in cold climates with your pump shut down for 4-5 months??

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you all live in cold climates with your pump shut down for 4-5 months??
I usually shut off from Oct to March or so, sometimes sooner sometimes later. Everything does just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is a completely foreign concept to me and will take some adjustment. But I will try it next year and report back. Do you all live in cold climates with your pump shut down for 4-5 months??

You'll get used to it! I suggest doing so with a large favorite libation and a knowing smirk! (might take a year of acceptance, but that smirk WILL come! Just ask PJ!)

I used to shut my pump down (8 years) and they did fine; now, I leave one pump going for surface agitation; not for oxygenation as much as making sure no ice ever forms (helps me get the pond going sooner in the spring!). Last year, I also kep the bog going but it wasn't really covered by the tent--this year, that's my next experiment!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is too big, too much surface area, cools the pond big time. My pump external, if power went out it could freeze and running that much water through the bog one ice dam and the pond is empty.

So for me all shut down for the winter, a nice no running water time. Nothing suffers due to no running water. I only put in a pond breather to keep gas exchange going, if we happen to get ice on the pond. Used to but have had short term ice recently.

Ask a Question