Large koi distressed after being stuck in skimmer box

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's easy to make a DIY skimmer guard with PVC. Mine is the simplest design of all......I cut 1/2 inch PVC, just a tad longer then the width of the skimmer opening and jiggled it in. It allows the water to pass over it and smaller fish could get in ( but they can swim out ) but larger fish can not get into the skimmer.

From the picture, it looks like it's spine is crooked....was it that way before? Perhaps it's the angle of the picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just saw that several people commented, my apologies for not answering sooner. The only injuries I saw we're scraped scales, most likely from trying to get out of the box. My husband had fed them the night before and I think they went in the box looking for more food. A little koi was stuck under the big one...that one is fine. I think the big one stayed bent, that's the way I found him, and was so far gone he wouldn't straighten out that much.

I helped him swim for over an hour and he seemed to be doing better, to the point where he was trying to swim on his own. He didn't make it, though. :(

I've had my fish for over 10 years, this is only the second time I've lost one from getting stuck in the box. One other time I got one out soon after he was stuck and he was fine.

Thanks so much for all the comments.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
He was a beautiful fish. I'm thinking he may have broken his spine or injured so baby even though He was breathing but just couldn't swim. I thought this was pretty ingenious.

On;y problem with installing these fish-saving baffles is that they also keep out the large debris that should go into the skimmer. They defeat the purpose of a skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's a great idea! We have old shelving like that. And he very well could have broken his back, all that thrashing around in a small space. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
On;y problem with installing these fish-saving baffles is that they also keep out the large debris that should go into the skimmer. They defeat the purpose of a skimmer.

I think someone post on this thread or an old on using pvc pipe to prevent the larger fish going in but enough clearing for debrie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The positioning of the PVC pipe I have across my skimmer, allows debris to flow over it, but keeps my koi out.......actually I guess they could launch themselves over the PVC pipe, but it acts as a deterrent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't think I'd have a problem pulling stuff from it as long as my fish we're safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The positioning of the PVC pipe I have across my skimmer, allows debris to flow over it, but keeps my koi out.......actually I guess they could launch themselves over the PVC pipe, but it acts as a deterrent.
Thank you...I have to try something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think someone post on this thread or an old on using pvc pipe to prevent the larger fish going in but enough clearing for debrie
I'll have my husband look at these suggestions...he's very handy. I like the closet shelf piece idea too that someone else posted.

Ask a Question