Leaf netting idea

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I'm one of those who had to have a pond, despite the number of large deciduous trees overhanging. Well here in Philly the leaves have started turning and falling, and I started looking for a pond net. Everywhere I looked they wanted between $100 and $300 for a cover of 15 to 17 feet wide and 22 to 25 feet long. We went to the local homecenter and purchased two 10 foot lengths of 3/4" PVC pipe and a few connectors. We connected the two lengths together, joined them to each other in the middle to make a big X and then stretched a 20' X 25' pond net to the pipe with plastic zip ties. We drove rebar into the ground in four locations around the pond, and standing on either side of the pond, hubby and I were able to bend the pipes into a curve and slip the ends over the rebar to hold them in place. We then stretched the net down and secured it to the ground in a couple of places with tent stakes. Total cost, about $25 and it works GREAT! Very easy to do in about 15 minutes. picture coming

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
So here's a picture. All the leaves you see are on the net, NOT in the pond. We also left a bench in front to fashion a little door for our neighborhood fox. He tripped our motion light last week and we watched him nosing the net until he made an opening at the bottom of the net in one spot to get a drink. Rather not have him get stuck in there or tear a hole in the net!

Attachments

• PA090061.jpg
    PA090061.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 574

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
It does snow in Philly, occasionally as much as a foot, but only every few years. We rarely get more than an few inches at a time these days, Honestly, I can't imagine how this would collapse -- certainly the pipe won't collapse, and they can't go anywhere with the rebar slid up into them. I'd just have to make sure to use plastic sheeting with a thick mil.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this....I was getting annoyed with leaves pulling the netting into the water and was planning on putting up one of these next year but after seeing your post I ran out and bought the material. Works really well and cheap.
DSC02989.jpg

It took me all of 10 minutes to put up.

I had seen this solution before for winter which I was considering but it requires much higher peak to ensure the snow rolls off. This design is aimed at Canada winters.

I may still try it out when the snow comes to see if it helps with keeping a hole open in the ice.

http://www.clarkekoi.com/HowToGreenhouse.html

Reaction score
It's ponding netting sold at LFS or pond store to cover ponds. Could use anything similiar, but pond netting is cheap enough and light weight.

rdk

Reaction score
I placed two green 8 foot garden stakes on ether sides of the long end of my 7 foot pond. Then I put pond netting over it. I tied down the ends with stones on the ground. This made an A-frame and it works great. All the leaves role off the sides.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
thought i would also post pics of mine ...was firstly made to give shade to pond and to give cover from the foxes that were making my fish hide all the time ...its attached to pole with ties so can just slide them up if i need to get to the pond ...will be adding more netting for the other end soon oh and last pics of some of this years babies with a couple of my older fish

Attachments

• pond oct 004.jpg
    pond oct 004.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 364
  • pond oct 006.jpg
    pond oct 006.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 319
  • pond oct 010.jpg
    pond oct 010.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 363
  • pond oct 016.jpg
    pond oct 016.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 336

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the woods behind my house. the next time I visited my pond supply store I told them about the problem with the leaves and supplied me with the netting cut to the sizes that I needed. as I cover two ponds and a stream. They had a design for building the netting frame from plastic conduit and conduit fittings. I thought there has to be a better way. I came up with the same idea you had with the rebar but since my ponds are kidney and heart shaped I needed various lengths of tubing. I went to home depot and bought a 150' roll of 160psi plastic water line that you use for wells, this way I could cut the pipe to the lengths I needed. It keeps the leaves out. It does collapse under the weight of the snow in a couple of places but springs right back up when the snow melts.

Ask a Question