Leaking pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
The pump I am writing about is a Simer Submersible Utility Pump 900GPH. I have it attached to an Algreen Products Pressure Flo 2000. I have been using this pump outside all summer but recently brought it in the the house to use in our pond in our basement for winter. I hooked it up to the filter (which is a new filter that I have just set up in the basement). It seemed to be working but yesterday I lifted the pump out of the water and you can see what it is doing in the photo. This same thing occurred with another pump that I brought in from outside a couple of weeks ago and I threw away thinking that it was no longer working. As best as I know, both of these pumps were working just fine in the outside pond. You can also see in the photo that a "scum" is collecting on the surface of the pond and I don't know where that is coming from - the filter or the pump. I was going to send a video but can't seem to get it transferred from my camera to my computer. If you need it, I will put a rush on getting that problem figured out.

Attachments

• _1050536.jpeg
    _1050536.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 155
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Is this a magnetic driven pump? Some utility pumps have oil in them, as opposed to being magnetically driven.....could the "scum" on water's surface is oil?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
So I spoke with technical services and you are absolutely correct Tulia. It isn’t designed for continuous use. Very frustrating because the place we got it from said that it was designed for continuous use. Now we are down 2 pumps. Moral of the story - buy from a reputable dealer, whoever that may be. Any suggestions? I am in Canada.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think you'll find members here have had favorable experiences with Laguna, Pond Master, Aquascape and others. Are any of those available to you in Canada?

Ask a Question