Waterfall / Pond leaking

Reaction score
I just looked onto the pond and 1 of my 3 Koi is at the bottom with the others plus 2 large goldfish, on his side...
I gave some food but they didnt seem to notice. Been no food since early December when they started to hibernate.
i have just sheltered the triangle section that they go to in winter (the deepest part) with a frame and blankets and some plastic grass sheet to try and warm up that space for tonight. he did swim off with the others upright.
he is about 9" long in about 1m of water, the pump is running fine near by. Im pretty sure hes actually a Ghost carp not a Koi

Do you think my small sheltered space will fix him..im in Kent so the weather is fine, sunny day no snow...they have survived much worse

May be if still bad tomorrow i have to bring him inside.

Please advise....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One of my koi last winter was always laying on its side, then as the water warmed up it stopped doing so and was just fine.
If it was my fish I would leave it along, bringing it inside at this point might do more harm than good IMHO

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi and thanks for your input. I'm not sure what type of goldfish this is. I've named ber Bubbles and she was originally a feeder goldfish that was in a stock tank to keep down mosquitos and then put into my pond when the stock tank was removed. I've stopped feeding Cheerio's and have cut out feeding until the water warms. Right now the water temps are about 50-55 degrees. I'll have to see what happens over time and I'm hoping that it was just an overfeeding. She's been like this for months now, probably over 4-5 months. I was hoping for babies but now I just hope she survives. She eats and swims like nothing is wrong. I will keep everyone posted on how they are all doing. Warmer weather is on the way. I do appreciate everyone's input. Our pond is about 23 years old and we've never had this problem before. Here's hoping for a happy ending.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s interesting that this 2 year old thread is about waterfall / pond leaking....but nowhere is there any mention of a leaky waterfall or pond!
:oops: :oops:

Ask a Question