Let's see you bottoms (of your pond of course)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Telion, if you want to get plants going on the bottom of your pond. I would suggest adding the plants soon and hold off on adding any large koi. Although, depending on how much you feed your small koi they could be large in short order.

This gives the plants a chance to take hold and get going. I have a lot of plants growing bare root, in pots or in pea gravel beds in the pond. I found the trick was to let them get well established before adding large koi. The koi still dig around in the root system, but they are so well established they never really do any damage. This works with marginals and lilies, submerged plants like anacharis and vallisneria, don’t bother that stuff is like all you can eat salad bar. My koi do leave hornwort alone, as far as submerged plants go.

Now I should also say my largest koi is about 18”, the herons seem to pick them off eventually before they get much bigger. Just lost three koi this past week while I was away. Fortunately, they keep reproducing, so the little guys eventually get big and the cycle continues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Telion, if you want to get plants going on the bottom of your pond. I would suggest adding the plants soon and hold off on adding any large koi. Although, depending on how much you feed your small koi they could be large in short order.

This gives the plants a chance to take hold and get going. I have a lot of plants growing bare root, in pots or in pea gravel beds in the pond. I found the trick was to let them get well established before adding large koi. The koi still dig around in the root system, but they are so well established they never really do any damage. This works with marginals and lilies, submerged plants like anacharis and vallisneria, don’t bother that stuff is like all you can eat salad bar. My koi do leave hornwort alone, as far as submerged plants go.

Now I should also say my largest koi is about 18”, the herons seem to pick them off eventually before they get much bigger. Just lost three koi this past week while I was away. Fortunately, they keep reproducing, so the little guys eventually get big and the cycle continues.
Great advice. Sorry to hear that you keep losing you large koi. We will stay content with wh as t we have and they should grow. Thank you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
^^^Population control.

When mr heron visited here, it was daily, 2 to 3 times a day. Without some protection mr heron or mrs heron would have wiped out the majority of the fish.

They wade very slowly, the crazy fish swim up to find food in the debris stirred up. I watched the herons on the cams for hours trying to figure out the best way to stop them.

We have a rookerie west of our house. They fly over every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here are a few pictures of the bottom of my pond. As well as an overview image for comparison. I have several lillies bare rooted at a 2.5 foot depth that you can see.
DSCN3633.JPG
DSCN3703.JPG
DSCN3642.JPG
DSCN3682.JPG
DSCN3693.JPG
DSCN3683.JPG
DSCN3640.JPG
DSCN3680.JPG
DSCN3648.JPG
DSCN3658.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Check with your state horticultural agency concerning water plants. some states ban specific plants. here in south carolina water hyacinth and water lettuce are banned along with a boatload of others that are unfamiliar. they also recommend native plants that will work for you. in south carolina the best source of information for example is Clemson. there are also county agents in some states i think. we had them in alabama.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@carolinaguy good advice thank you.

@Troutredds super clear water and traditional koi bottom. Not a bad thing I don't see my baby koi for days on end lol as a result of my rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
^^^Population control.

When mr heron visited here, it was daily, 2 to 3 times a day. Without some protection mr heron or mrs heron would have wiped out the majority of the fish.

They wade very slowly, the crazy fish swim up to find food in the debris stirred up. I watched the herons on the cams for hours trying to figure out the best way to stop them.

We have a rookerie west of our house. They fly over every day.
Glad we don't have those but I am a bit concerned about the hawks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad we don't have those but I am a bit concerned about the hawks.
I doubt you have anything to worry about with a hawk but an eagle is another story. or an ospree

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know the thread is a couple months old, but who gets tired of looking at bottoms?!:ROFLMAO:

This is one end of our new pond @ 9+ weeks. Depth to the plant shelf on the left is about a foot, and drops off to 2', and around 3' at the upper right corner of this pic. Plants in pic are white snowflake, frog's bit, hornwort (dark clumps), anacharis, and a couple small water lettuce mixed in there. I tried a half dozen sprigs of vallisneria but it didn't like me.

Okay, I've shown you mine, now show us yours!

pondbottom.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know the thread is a couple months old, but who gets tired of looking at bottoms?!:ROFLMAO:

This is one end of our new pond @ 9+ weeks. Depth to the plant shelf on the left is about a foot, and drops off to 2', and around 3' at the upper right corner of this pic. Plants in pic are white snowflake, frog's bit, hornwort (dark clumps), anacharis, and a couple small water lettuce mixed in there. I tried a half dozen sprigs of vallisneria but it didn't like me.

View attachment 114726

Pond looks great, Lol I love it. True, I never get tired of seeing great bottoms. Mine is still bare less some newly grown string algae. I will post pics later. I have tries to seed it but the fish tear it out. The watercress is doing great though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

View attachment 114726
Nice bottom!

Ask a Question