Lily pad growth rate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Trying to establish transplanted hardy waterlilies at the start of the heat of the season might be bad timing.

It can take weeks, months for new roots to establish before a strong cycle of pads and blooms can begin

Why bad timing? like any other plant, a hardy has its limits and likes a cooler range of temps to grow strong, a hot 80's and 90's pond with midday sun can force harshly cropped plants to go dormant.

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
lol, that's fine, I think we were done. I wanted to know if all lilies grew really slow, everyone said no, they grow fast. That's all I wanted out of the thread, you can talk about filet o fish sandwiches now for all I care. Speaking of which, omg that sounds good...

Reaction score
Oh, ok. Well I got the advice to repot them, I'll check the roots and see if any new ones have grown down into my clay. I think I have just the perfect long pots to put them in and they should still be super easy to hang with rope on the side of the pond. I will check the roots and see if they look different than when they first arrived.

My pond isn't warm though, that last time I was in it was a 95 degree day and it was freezing. I put my hand in it at lunch today and it was finally starting to feel warm, but I reached down deeper and it got real cold real fast. I'm sure the koi are really enjoying that, hope that's how my pond is every summer, with that black liner I was worried it would keep getting hotter and hotter until it was like a bath tub. I guess the cooling effect of night time is very powerful.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I moved a fully leafed one with buds yesterday, pulled it out of the pot clay and all, slid it into the new basket with more kitty litter. It has two huge blooms up today. I hardly disturbed the roots.

You can probably move the lily without messing up the roots.

Reaction score
lol, that's fine, I think we were done. I wanted to know if all lilies grew really slow, everyone said no, they grow fast. That's all I wanted out of the thread, you can talk about filet o fish sandwiches now for all I care. Speaking of which, omg that sounds good...

i figured you for a McRib...

Reaction score
I love McRibs too, haven't had one of those in a long time, Filet o Fish either, but those two sandwiches were always very tasty to me. Only been to McDonald's 3 times this year and got the santa fe salad all 3 times.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score

I love McRibs too, haven't had one of those in a long time, Filet o Fish either, but those two sandwiches were always very tasty to me. Only been to McDonald's 3 times this year and got the santa fe salad all 3 times.

Lol, Mmm...mcribs, I never get to eat there anymore since we started trying to eat healthier after the kid was born.

Maybe we should just see how far we can derail this thread now.. :razz: ...Sometimes My cats breath smells exactly like cat food, Is that normal?

Reaction score
Lol, Mmm...mcribs, I never get to eat there anymore since we started trying to eat healthier after the kid was born.

Maybe we should just see how far we can derail this thread now.. :razz: ...Sometimes My cats breath smells exactly like cat food, Is that normal?

I don't think that's normal, cat's breath should never smell like anything. If you detect an odor it could mean there is something really wrong. Does anyone know if The Beach Boys are playing any shows this summer?

Reaction score
Lilies like quiet water if they are to close from a fall or fountain or any moving water they will not be as luxurious as is on still water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think that's normal, cat's breath should never smell like anything. If you detect an odor it could mean there is something really wrong. Does anyone know if The Beach Boys are playing any shows this summer?

At least 10 shows, cat's breath should never smell like fish!

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
cat's breath should never smell like fish!

Especially in the backyard by my pond! Oddly enough I found a cat at the edge of my pond last week standing on my cat tails on the shelf breaking them like crazy. Don't know if it was after fish or just getting a drink in the heat.

Reaction score
Sorry to put this topic back on track, but I unpotted all of my lilies and the roots were diging down into the clay just fine. I repotted them in my large kidney bean shaped pots and hung them back in the pond with a fresh fertilizer tab. Each lily has tons of roots, tons of baby leaves, and 2 of them have weird tubers coming out of the main tuber, are those the spots where I will divide at some point? I hope that pot size was my problem and now that they have extra room to go forward they will be happier.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
great! the weird tubers are probably babies starting to grow. When you divide/groom the main thing you pick is a good growing tip.

Reaction score
How big should the growing tip be before you divide? The two that I had were about the size of large marbles, maybe 1/2" round, maybe a tiny bit more, but not much.

Ask a Question