Lily Pads Dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I have recently made a container pond out of a large metal tank. It is about a month old. We have noticed the lily pads are not doing well and keep getting black spots and dying. The stems are very soft and easily break. I am attaching a picture of some white larvae type things I found under them. Any idea what is going on?

Attachments

• DC355714-1BB2-4CEB-A6D0-7C8A43039FBF.jpeg
    DC355714-1BB2-4CEB-A6D0-7C8A43039FBF.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 28E0241D-5A5B-4D54-97A8-F991A1F2F62C.jpeg
    28E0241D-5A5B-4D54-97A8-F991A1F2F62C.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 145
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's a very pretty container pond, but there might be too much water movement & splashing for the lilies. Their pads don't like that. It is natural for lily pads to die off as they age & new ones are sent up, but being constantly splashed will hasten their demise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with BKH. You've got your lily smooshed between a water fall and a fountain. It also just doesn't have a lot of surface area in general to spread around in.

Very cute waterfall, by the way!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Very nice pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you everybody. Do you guys think I could put it under the tray we made or will it not be enough sunlight?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dang. I wish the store we purchased this from would have told us the tank would be too small. We even told them the specs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Dang. I wish the store we purchased this from would have told us the tank would be too small. We even told them the specs

I'd take it back. There are definitely lilies that are small enough for patio ponds. I've had one that goes in mine every year for the last 7 years. Mine is a Joey Tomocik. It's a pretty yellow flower, does well even in shade and doesn't mind small space. My patio pond is probably sixty gallons at most.

I will agree though that you need some still water - they don't enjoy being splashed constantly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd take it back. There are definitely lilies that are small enough for patio ponds. I've had one that goes in mine every year for the last 7 years. Mine is a Joey Tomocik. It's a pretty yellow flower, does well even in shade and doesn't mind small space. My patio pond is probably sixty gallons at most.

I will agree though that you need some still water - they don't enjoy being splashed constantly.
I called and the business said they don’t do returns or exchanges :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
"But we will misrepresent what we sell". Got it! I call those "lessons learned"!

But honestly, I wouldn't be too hard on them - many nurseries that we visit are employing people who know very little about plants or even gardening. And today, everyone is just trying their best.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

My questions were going to be about sun exposure, and how do you have it potted? It sounds like everything else is covered. Cute pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

My questions were going to be about sun exposure, and how do you have it potted? It sounds like everything else is covered. Cute pond!
It gets plenty of sun. About 8-10 hours. I’m thinking it is all the water flow slowly killing them. I moved them around though and lowered the flow today. Do you have any advice on what those white things could be though?

Ask a Question