Lily Pads getting brownish/black spots that progress

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any plant needs to produce energy to sustain growth and support flowering. Any unnatural loss of foliage will reduce the amount of energy available. I have seen similar situations where the plant will produce buds only to have these buds either fall off the plant or die as a waterlily bud will do. They literally rot on the plant turning into mush.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Any plant needs to produce energy to sustain growth and support flowering. Any unnatural loss of foliage will reduce the amount of energy available. I have seen similar situations where the plant will produce buds only to have these buds either fall off the plant or die (as a waterlily bud would do).

So, what you are saying is, if my lily has lost enough foliage to be unable to produce the energy needed, this bud will most likely not mature into a flower and may die or drop off before it ever breaks the water's surface. OK. Good to know. Let me watch it and continue to document the saga of this leaf I posted. @Meyer Jordan I so much appreciate your feedback and help as I do from other members as well! Thank you all.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Today's progression. As you can see...more spots than yesterday, and the spots from yesterday are turning darker.
100_0068.jpg

Also, what I am seeing happening to my lily leaves is the EXACT thing I am seeing in @vestaviascott pond in the third post on his thread at https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/new-pond-new-fish-what-to-expect.21974/

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Personally, this is my conclusion. I think, that somehow, water is getting on those pads, despite you saying that hasn't happened.
Water lily leaf spot? No, I'm not joking either, as it seems to be a disease that has similar effects to what your leaves are experiencing...according to what I've read anyway.
I agree with @moby.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@DutchMuch In the same post you say it's water getting on the leaves AND you agree with @moby that it seems to be a disease. I can assure you it is NOT water spots. If it is a disease, someone must have seen this before, and it is the same problem that @vestaviascott is experiencing in his thread that I already referenced.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Leaf spot is typically a fungus infection, however sometimes it can be caused when transplanting a waterlily tuber too deep. This encourages crown rot. Yellowing, spotted leaves are a sign of this issue.
If this is just a fungal infection, your options are limited-
-remove the diseased foliage as already advised.
-treat with a Copper-based fungicide (only if you have no fish)
-remove infected plant. If problem reoccurs on other waterlilies then the entire pond will require disinfection with a Chorine solution.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't have this problem on my lily leaves, but I have noted a LOT more fungal issues in my vegetable garden this year. My cucumber leaves are covered in fungal spots, but the plants are still flowering and producing fruit, so I just keep cutting off the diseased leaves. I think the extreme rainfall in July is to blame for a lot of the fungal, mildew, etc in my area this year - not sure if that's the case for you @MoonShadows .

If it's any consolation, most varieties of waterlilies are generally very hardy. If the problem is only affecting the leaves and not the tuber, the plant will survive. I had some tubers that I was trying to re-home last year so I had them in a shallow pan with some water. I ignored them for too long and the water dried up and they sat there for probably a week or more - I thought they were goners. It rained and the pan filled up - the tubers sprouted. I tossed them in our neighborhood pond and this year they are growing and blooming LIKE CRAZY. (Better than the ones in my pond! haha!) Long story short - they are tough to kill!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks @Lisak1 . I figure I'll just keep removing any leaves that get spots. I imagine the winter freeze should kill any disease. BTW...I also have a new flower on it's way up.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry I didn't get back to you last night on this issue! Got caught up tilling! and still am!

Ask a Question