Lily plants

Gobucks

GoBucks
Reaction score
I wondered if anyone has had this issue. I recently had a hardy lily that sent up a bloom to about an inch below the waterline. There it sat and eventualy rotted. This was the first bloom of the summer and I have not had anymore since. Does anyone know why this may happen?

Reaction score
I had this happen when I bought a lily that was blooming already and dropped it in the pond. It bloomed below the water level then the bloom died. I think it hits the water surface only once then blooms, so you need to wait for the next bloom. I cut it off. My lily has started another shoot that has not hit the water yet.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
To encourage water lillies to continue to send up blossoms and bloom, you need to cut off the old blossom and stem about one inch from the crown (above the pot) right after it is finished blooming. Otherwise it will rot, and create a possible imbalance in your pond.

Right now I have had several blooms, one blooming now, and three blossoms coming up at different stages on their way to the surface of the water.

Ask a Question