Liner question?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi .. I am new to this site but have a question and don't know where to post this. I currently have one of those very hard plastic stock water troughs installed in the ground for my pond. I have one fish in it that started out as a feeder fish in a local feed store and is now 9 years old. He has pretty much outgrown this pond and I want to get another larger one and put it above ground for the rest of the fish's life.

My question is are these hard rubber containers OK for above ground. The pond is currently about 40 gallons but he loves his upside down milk crate to hide and go into when he wants. This takes up most of the little pond so that is why I need to go larger.

I heard the galvanized tanks are no good for the fish because of the zinc. I just need to know if a larger version of what I have is OK to have above ground.

Thank you for your time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I would definitely wait to see what others have to say - to see if they think I'm correct. My guess is that although the hard plastic pre-formed ponds are sturdy, they are made to have some support around them. The pressure of water will be pretty strong. Is this what you have? Or is it something else - like for watering livestock - intended to be above ground? If it's a preformed pond, I'm inclined to think it will need some support around the sides - maybe a combination of stacked blocks and dirt against the sides? (There should be some ways to support it without having to dig it into the ground.). If it is a plastic livestock watering trough, it should be fine. That is my very inexpert guess. Anyone else?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it is one of those hard ridged ones that they use for live stock. Made for drinking. Not flimsy at all. I was only thinking of a 60 gal size nothing more.

I just came back from the local feed store and purchased a 75 gal one. They said it is used for watering livestock and it won't crumble or cave in above ground. Made for that purpose so I think I have my question answered. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I would guess it would be fine. You would probably need to watch to be sure it didn't overheat in the summer or freeze solid in the winter, depending on where you are.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't live in a area where it freezes. It doesn't even snow here and doesn't get hotter than 75 degrees. I live on the California coast and weather has never been a problem. I do have some large rocks that are around the top of my current pond. I can always stack those around this one just for added support I am thinking.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@parvenza So nice of you to want to make a bigger home for you fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
mrsclem, I asked the man several times if there would be a problem with this buckling with the weight of the water and he said absolutely not because they are made to hold water above ground. I am so happy to get this 75 gallon one and hope that my fish adjusts to it with no problem. Happy to know that yours are much bigger and doing a great job. That helps a lot .. thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
J.W. I do want to make a nice home for my fish. He isn't a fancy fish just a feeder fish that started out at about 1 inch and now is so large he doesn't have much room to swim with that milk crate inside. I can't stand to see him only swimming inside of it because with the crate and the filter it doesn't give him much room. He is enormous now and he is 9 years old. Just woke up from hibernating and it breaks my heart to see him only having a small area to swim in. When he finally goes, I can always turn it into a water garden with lots of plants. I wish I could plants in it now for him, but I don't know what kind to use that would not make the water muddy. He will feel that his world just got so much bigger and I know he will be much happier with all that room. I keep the ponds covered with rabbit wire to keep the raccoons from getting in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Some of my favorite fish were little feeders! I know yours will enjoy his new home and great news that it is made to be above ground with no extra support. That simplifies things for you a lot!

Reaction score
Country
United States
bagsmom, I am amazed that he has gotten so big and is so old. I didn't think they lasted this long. He has outlived other fish that I got at the same time. I feel bad that he is by himself and has been for about the last 5 years but I don't want anymore fish. When he is gone that will be it. I don't want to do anything that will stress him out so I am hoping that transitioning to the new pond won't be too bad. I will already have his crate in place so he can hide out in there for a while. But above ground will be easier on me to clean too. I also won't have all the dirt that is around the rocks running into the pond which is a pain. So all in all I think the new pond will be so much better.

Ask a Question