sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The you never know .I said the same thing and would never have gone bigger each time but decided what the heck .Now I wish for pondless .Shut it down no worries ,no fish to worry about .I have gotten rid of 2 more of my fish and now down to 10 fish .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is some tough stuff does not get slick as epdm

And this is one of the reasons that EPDM is preferred for a fish inhabited pond.
The slickness on a liner is caused by the production of EPS (extrapolymericsaccharides) by the bacteria within the biofilm that forms on the surface of a liner. This EPS is the supporting structure for the entire biofilm. If production of EPS is retarded or prevented by the chemical makeup of the liner or the surface characteristics of said liner, then the growth of the biofilm is also retarded/prevented. Since the presence of a healthy biofilm is a prerequisite for an appropriate level of bioconversion, any restriction of biofilm growth should be avoided.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ppl gets slick just not as slick, I have gone down more than once walking in the pond, mid summer not bad, but ow darn cold.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think that sometimes people look at the initial cost of an item and don't really factor in the long-term. Probably more so true with newbies and/or people who haven't done a lot of research into ponding [in general]. Personally, I think your biggest initial expense has got to be your liner!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think that sometimes people look at the initial cost of an item and don't really factor in the long-term. Probably more so true with newbies and/or people who haven't done a lot of research into ponding [in general]. Personally, I think your biggest initial expense has got to be your liner!

I agree!

I think people have a way that they go about choosing what they're going to buy that doesn't change whether it's a car, a winter coat, or the elements to build a pond. Some people want the cheapest they can find, some people want the best deal on the best product they can buy, and for some people money is no object. I fall somewhere in that middle group. I love a good deal, but it's gotta be the right product. My husband leans far to the "money is no object" line. If he's going to do something, he's going to buy the best out there - then it's up to me to find the deal!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You wouldn't believe how many cheap pumps I replace every year.

Some people think that a sump-pump is suitable for pond applications.

I've seen ponds lined with tarps, plastic, you name it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best pumps that are cheap are harbor freight ones ,I still have them today and my neighbor is using them in her pond and 1 of them is 11 years old and the 2150 one is still working to this day and that is at least 5 or 6 years old .So all things cheap are not all bad .Only reason I went to laguna pumps was the energy savings .I know I bought both of these before peewee was born .I saved all my life to retire at 50 and be comfortable and not have a mortgage .People need to think of there future and sometimes cheap is not all bad .Fools are born every day and if they go broke then who is the winner .You go with what you can afford .
pics on durecell back up 490.JPG
pics on durecell back up 984.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of the 260 gal/hr HF pumps and a 620 gal/hr. The only ones I would consider running 24/7 are the very small ones. Everything else is not worth it. You casually mention energy savings, but it's really significant. Take the one in your photo. That pump is 2100 gal/hr and uses 276 watts! It costs $80. An equivalent Laguna costs $200 but uses 1/3 the power. That extra 190 W of power will cost you $200 in just one year. So in less than a year, buying the Laguna pump is the "cheap" choice.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did not say that one was energy efficient and it pumped more than 2150 gph .I bought laguna 2900 gph and it uses less power than said .I also have a laguna 2400 gph and the bigger the hose the less they use in energy .I have my electric on a notify bases and took hours to list every thing but it shows me how much energy each is using at any one time .It gives me warnings when something is using more power than it should .My electric bill right now with an all electric house is 149 dollars ( sometimes lower and sometimes higher depends ) a month and I get charged from Pittsylvania County ans Henry County for usage tax which is 7 dollars from Pittsylvania and 5 dollars from Henry and then there is the PCA charge which is around 12 to 15 dollars .I have a well and a heat pump and the house is 2440 sq. ft. So I don't consider that bad .In the summer the attic fan comes on .Danville utilities is cheaper than Appalachian power ..Tammy who has the pumps her bill is only around 50 to 70 dollars a month but her house is not as well insulated as mine and not as big .She has 1360 sq. ft. .Plus her house has a crawl space and an older heat pump

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my pump however I think I'll look at the power usage next time around. It's not going to put me in the poor house but the electric company tells me I use more than neighbors in the summer. In the grand scheme of things it's no big deal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I did not say that one was energy efficient and it pumped more than 2150 gph .I bought laguna 2900 gph and it uses less power than said .I also have a laguna 2400 gph and the bigger the hose the less they use in energy .I have my electric on a notify bases and took hours to list every thing but it shows me how much energy each is using at any one time .It gives me warnings when something is using more power than it should .My electric bill right now with an all electric house is 149 dollars ( sometimes lower and sometimes higher depends ) a month and I get charged from Pittsylvania County ans Henry County for usage tax which is 7 dollars from Pittsylvania and 5 dollars from Henry and then there is the PCA charge which is around 12 to 15 dollars .I have a well and a heat pump and the house is 2440 sq. ft. So I don't consider that bad .In the summer the attic fan comes on .Danville utilities is cheaper than Appalachian power ..Tammy who has the pumps her bill is only around 50 to 70 dollars a month but her house is not as well insulated as mine and not as big .She has 1360 sq. ft. .Plus her house has a crawl space and an older heat pump

You missed my point. My point is that one should take the energy consumption of pumps very seriously because even the best pumps cost more to operate over a few years than they cost to purchase. So buying a cheap pump that is a power hog is never a way to save money if the pump is going to be used continuously. I was re-emphasizing what you said and adding some numbers to make the difference clear.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My lagunas right now the 2900gph is using only 70 watts and the 2400gph is using 50 watts .I just cleaned them yesterday and that helps a lot also .People here complain about our utility company ,but no complaints from me .The only time I used more was when the compressor was going out on my new heat pump and lennox notified the installer and they replaced it .They called me I did not even know yet .that was when I was just setting up my utility company savings program .But if the pumps do not last then is it worth it .I paid 179 dollars and 149 dollars for my laguna pumps with a 4 year warranty .I have not had the best luck with liners so I am skeptical about any thing any more .I am now down to 8 fish as gave 2 more away yesterday

Ask a Question