Lithium Ion battery in pond hazardous to my fish???

Reaction score
A month ago, while removing seed bunches sprouting from our pond side windmill palm trees the lithium batter fell out of my portable sawzall and SPLASH!!! I immediately put on my Speedos (ok, full size swimming trunks, I am 65 yo and would never expose myself to aircraft flying overhead) and spent an hour in the 1200 gal pond locating and removing said battery. My question, was it necessary? Could there have been detrimental effects on my fish (nothing fancy, goldfish and Shubunkins)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Curious.... You joined 6 years ago, but this is your 1st post.

Probably no immediate problem, but you'll have to wait and see if there are long-term effects. Should you have retrieved the battery? I would have!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
There is a level of lithium already in all cities water and that's ok for everyone. An overdose of lithium will cause a shut down of kidneys. In fish, I would expect that to come out as fluid collecting in their bellies... so watch for inflated bellies. If it hasnt happened in a week I doubt it they will be affected. Acid is more concerning... so if the ph is too low you will need to put a buffer. Use a test kit and watch the ph.

Having said that, 1200 gallons ponds are not hard to handle... why not just do a 75% water change?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
  1. There is a lot of Lithium in a Li Ion battery
  2. Li is a very reactive metal, (that's why it makes good batteries)
  3. Li Ion battery can explode or catch on fire if short-circuited as can happen in the water
  4. Li metal will react with water and produce explosive Hydrogen gas and extremely basic LiOH which can push your pH through the roof.
I'm thinking you got very lucky, that accident could have been ugly.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
yep, I think you did the right thing given it's a big battery driving a sawzall, it can do some damage... and once out of containment of the battery pack, hard to remove the trace amount.

Ask a Question