Lone baby goldfish in my pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As noted above, you'll be fine. I have 32 koi, a few that are 16", along with over 100 gf, many of which are 8+ inches, and I see more than a few youngsters that are maybe 1/2" swimming right along with their elders. If you feed regularly, you have less chance of predation. That's why we recommend NOT feeding if you worry about overstocking. The first babies you get are the cute one so; thereafter, you tend to be less attached!
That sounds absolutely wonderful! How lovely to be able to just sit and relax and watch them, endlessly fascinating ❤️
yes I totally agree that this first one is my ‘baby’ because he is the only survivor. Next year’s ones will no doubt fascinate me too now I know they will breed but yes, I’m not sure what I’d do with a lot of babies build another pond lol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bigger the fish, the slower they get so your fast, little shuby should be fine. I have over 200 fish up to 12" in my pond and still see little ones smaller than an inch. Mine join the big boys when they feel comfortable, until then there's plenty to eat. I do agree that you shouldn't be cleaning your pond like that. I've had ponds that have taken up to 2 years to find their balance. A bog or at least a biofilter would help with water clarity. Say g'day to Lucky for me.:cool:
Thank you so much for your advice
And ‘Hello’ from Essex in England to you too

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, I’m new to the group and have a question… cleaning out my pond today and we’ve found a tiny baby fish atm I’ve put him in a bowl with pond water and brought him inside because I’m worried the others will eat him but I’ve no idea what conditions he needs or what to feed him on.. we had no idea there were any fry and he’s to tiny probably about 1.5 inches long … any advice would be good please TIA
I’ve had tons of baby fish over the years, they start off black so you do not,see,them till they get bigger and start changing colors. He’ll be fine in there put him back. If they didn’t eat him yet don’t think they will.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow I’ll definitely read your post about that
Here is a nicely written up small bog build for a 300 gallon pond. in Showcase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had tons of baby fish over the years, they start off black so you do not,see,them till they get bigger and start changing colors. He’ll be fine in there put him back. If they didn’t eat him yet don’t think they will.
Thank you Yes he is back in there now .. just hope he survives

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

Ask a Question