Looking for a new pump. Any ideas? 4000~5000gph, 30ft head height min

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What kind of structure would I have to build to protect an external pump during winter? I am guessing these pumps still need to breathe without restriction. ((don't even try disuading me from running it in Winter :)))

The only thing that would concerns me, reading your description, is having a submersible pump under a box, covered with rocks. I don't use submersible, but have seen a bunch of posts about submersible pumps getting clogged and needing cleaning. Just make sure you can get to it if you need to clean the intakes. Once you have plants and fish you will have muck that might clog up the pump.
I agree with ya, been think'n about creating a camoflouged box to provide easy access. Eventhough it has not even gotten close to getting clogged, this does not mean thing may change when introducing fish and plants. The netting and 4" layer of smooth river rock has prevented big debris from entering and all the small stuff passes throught just fine. Easy acces though is something I need to implement.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You just need to protect the pump from weather, at this point we just have a half barrel cut and placed over the pump, with air holes. Here I have to pull mine for the winter. They make fake rocks to hide sprinkler systems, etc, those would work well also, just make sure there is plenty of air flow.

Unless you get really cold the heat of the pump running will keep it fine in the winter. We can get pretty cold during a normal winter.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is what I built to house my pump, it is a sequence 7200.

This is the inside of the pump house.
P1020233.JPG

This is what it looked like soon after building the pond.
DSC00925.JPG

This is what it looks like now with all the plants/bushes grown in.
P1030933.JPG

This is another view, as you can see or not see it is hidden quite well.
P1030934.JPG

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks guys.

Very nice images taherrmann. Pretty fancy little house there with electrical outlet, vent for a window, and actual shingles, heheh, :)

Well, grrr, so as long as I protect the pump outside during Winter, then I should be just fine.

Hmmm, I think I may go external.

Submersible is still a pretty good pump so I think I will keep my submersible where it is as my backup pump; just using it once a month to make sure it still runs and gunk free.

For external pumps, do I just sit the hose in the pond or is there some sort of cage for it or special box thingy ?? so that the fish doesn't get sucked into the hose, heh ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It depends, if you have it hooked to a bottom drain, the drain usually has a covering. If you just have yours in the pond, make a covering or it will suck in fish etc.

I put mine in the pond with two inch pvc. The two inch pvc has holes drilled in it, think I used 1/4 inch, capped the end of the pipe, over the pvc I put 3 inch black drain pipe, that stuff with the slits all over it. That disperses the draw so it is not real powerful at any one spot and hides the white piping

This stuff

40f305d6-cf7b-4fb4-adb0-9174e51d83c.jpg

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I currently have Aquascape - Tsurumi PN Pump 50PN2.25S (3PN)

I have my pump set at 20 inch depth covered in rocks and it stays submersed during winter as well.

If my power goes go out, the winters here only freeze the water to 8 inches last time I checked when my floating de-icer stopped working; It has been a very long time since my area has had anywhere close to sub-zero temperatures. Heh, the 8 inches was created due to my fountains when my floating deicers stopped working; these guys were just add layers on top of the ice. For this year, my fountains are gonna share my deicers GFI (ground fault interceptor) so that when the deicer screws up then my fountains will turn off.

I just don't have the space nor place for an above ground inline pump.

I need to have at least a 30 foot head height, the pump needs to be built so it can operate in cold water, and must be a submersible.

I am looking for a 4000~5000gph pump. The Tsurumi series works well for me but it is an electricity hog. From what I understand, the head height is what demands the power consumption so I really do not need it to go above 30 feet. I suppose 36 or 44 head height would be ok ... maybe depending on the watts.

Any ideas? :)
Hey buddy i was web searching and found your old topic on this pump. What pump did you end up with? So the flow was not great on this one?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hey buddy i was web searching and found your old topic on this pump. What pump did you end up with? So the flow was not great on this one?

The Evolution ESS 6400, that is only 6400 gph when at around 6 foot head height and only 4000gph at 14 foot head height. Since I'm using the Zakki Sieve + MC50, that is a pressure filter, and pulling all this thread a suction retro-fitted bottom drain and also this is supplying my fountain and water... My head height demand is quite high. I doubt I am even getting 4000gph, but the pump is quiet and is not using much electricity.

I've liked it, but it is an above ground pump.

I still have my old Aquascape submersible pump to be used during the winter to maintain water circulation, which is little bit of over kill.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Love my sequence external pump ;)

Yeah, I was looking at the self priming sequence pumps as well. Grr, tough decisions to make when it comes to pumps. My main concern was noise and I had a tough time anyone giving me a good idea on how it sounds.

I have the Hakko 25L and my ESS is noticeably louder than my Hakko, which is sometimes annoying when my water fountain's water movement noise is turned off. I have been looking into getting a secondary back up pump.

Since you have the Hakko40L, in comparison to this air pump... Would you rate your sequence pump to be louder or softer than the Hakko40L?

Ask a Question