Waterfall losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just bought a house back in October, it has a waterfall. All has been great up until a few weeks ago. We had algae in it, and my husbands friend told him he could use a dawn dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda mixture to remove it (safe for dogs). Well it worked, but it caused a ton of bubbles, and ever since we've noticed that the water pressure is extremely low. If we run the hose in it, then the water pressure goes back to normal. Within an hour of turning the hose off, the water pressure is very low again. We think it could be the pump, but we're not sure. We called the company that installed it but they've been super flaky, and after them telling us to use bleach to clean it and that it shouldn't hurt our dogs and not coming when they say they will, we're just going to try to figure it out ourselves. We don't know much about waterfalls, but I generally pick up on stuff fast so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate the help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-10-10-52-56-023_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-10-10-52-56-023_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_2021-05-10-10-54-30-827_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-10-10-54-30-827_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 84

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dish soap should never be used, that's why you have foam.Peroxide can be used, not sure about the baking soda. Can you get to the pump? Guessing it's clogged with dead algae. I would suggest draining it and start with fresh water.
this is a pond-less waterfall? No fish?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1620663884806.gif
@MAKing
Sounds like they really did a # on you telling you to put soap in there. Most I have heard use the Hydrogen peroxide alone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dish soap should never be used, that's why you have foam.Peroxide can be used, not sure about the baking soda. Can you get to the pump? Guessing it's clogged with dead algae. I would suggest draining it and start with fresh water.
this is a pond-less waterfall? No fish?
Yeeeah I didn't know he was doing it until he did it and his buddy was in landscaping so he trusted what he said ‍♀️

There is no fish in it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think if you just check the pump out and see if it's clogged first, then just empty the whole thing and start over you might be good to go. Just don't know how long it will take to get rid of all those suds. Will have to just keep running the water over and over till no more. If the pump is still not working right then I'd get back to them and make them fix it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't think you mentioned any filtration, but pumps and filters will clog regularly, so they need routine maintenance.
If your pump is in the pond, keep it iff the bottom a bit. This way it won't suck up debris that will normally collect on the very bottom.
You can tie a string to the pump to keep it suspended. Never pull on the electrical cord.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a pretty waterfall! I think the soap will dissipate on it's own. If you leave a sink full of soapy water, it will eventually lose it's bubbling action. Your's may take a bit longer as it's being constantly agitated, but it's not really hurting anything.

And I agree with the "check your pump" advice - it's likely clogged with whatever the peroxide cleaned off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good grief , dawn dish soap , bleach?
All you need to do in that little waterfall is add some salt you have no plants or moss from what I see. Salt will prevent algae growth and will also keep algae from clogging pumps etc. Very simple and safe.

Ask a Question