Tired of losing Koi

Reaction score
Happy Holidays Everyone,
While tending to my submerged de-icer today I fished out 1 dead Koi and 1 dead goldfish. I have aerators and as mentioned a de-icer in the pond I try to be proactive in the pond's care but I have lost far too many Koi over the years. I have adequate filtration from March til November in the northeast with powerful UV lighting. My neighbor has great luck and his koi are huge. I dont know what else to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm very sorry for the loss of your fish. I'm hoping mine are ok, we're having quite a cold snap and I can't see them under the pond cover.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that you are having problems. It’s very frustrating, especially when you don’t know what is happening.

You’ve been a member since 2007. We don’t really know anything about your pond, so maybe if you give us some information, that would be helpful. We have no idea what makes your pond different from your neighbor’s pond.

How big is your pond? How many fish do you have? What kind of filtration do you have? “Adequate filtration” doesn’t tell anything. When you say you have “powerful UV lighting,” what does that mean?

Do you test your water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@PeteM - I won't repeat what @Mmathis said. She asked all the pertinent questions. More information will be extremely helpful.

I will just mention that UV lighting has no effect on the health of your fish. Many people swear by it for clearing free floating algae from the pond, but it doesn't benefit your fish, no mater how powerful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PICTURES, location, what is so different from your pond to his ? Depth, current, concrete, vinyl liner epdm ? It could be as simple as type of koi. To parasites. Inadequate filtration. Lack of oxygen the list can be very long

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would talk with your neighbor and try to learn his tricks. It could be a bigger/ deeper pond, more filter per gallon, or something that we haven’t thought of.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So sorry you are losing your fish and sure hope you can figure out why :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
first do you have an aerator and a thermometer to see what the temperature of the water is and do you have a water test kit .Koi can be fussy about air and water quality at times .

Ask a Question