Losing Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I’m new to this forum but do have a little knowledge of ponds. I have recently purchased a house with a small two tier pond in the garden. I have just done a temp setup until I build the koi pond. The lower pond is smaller than the top and connected via a waterfall. The pump filters water from the lower pond back to the top which produces the waterfall. The lower pond is losing water overnight. Is it possible that the pump is pumping quicker than the waterfall is transferring the water back to the lower. The intention is to split the filtered water between the two ponds when I can get to the shop to buy a t-piece. Does anyone think there could be another issue. No sign of leaks anywhere. Both ponds hold water when pump is off. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Possible plumbing leak when the pump is running? If the waterfall is causing the leak, it could be running over the edges of behind but it should be wet somewhere to be losing water like that. Maybe post a picture if possible.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

If the ponds hold water when the pump is not running, the waterfall is not running, I would say it is a plumbing, pipe issue or a waterfall issue.

Look for displaced rock, plants directing the water out, liner folded etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@markzipps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
The plumbing associated with the water from the pump to the top pond would be the prime culprit I would suspect. Can you give an indication of how much water is being lost in a day?

Ask a Question