Lost all my beauties!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys! New member here. I’ve lost 4 koi in the past week! They all have the same type of injury or disease. What is this and what do I do? Never had a problem like this before!
F51AFAF7-D7FB-474E-934D-901834C98067.jpeg

Attachments

• 563CEE6C-2F69-4236-B94F-4A0528CD9304.jpeg
    563CEE6C-2F69-4236-B94F-4A0528CD9304.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 9BE4C94E-363F-48A8-999F-1793D93436AE.jpeg
    9BE4C94E-363F-48A8-999F-1793D93436AE.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 150

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
holy cow! dont know what that is but I am posting this in hopes people that check my profile see this and respond! my best guess is flashing, which is a parasite, but that looks a lot more serious than that!

it could be something along the lines of a crodad eating the sides out of the fish, because in my area there was a largew crodad infested pond that they lost all of the fish to crodads catching the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did this happen suddenly or have the fish had some redness that worsened over time?

Do you have testing kits to check your water quality? That would be my first step.

So sorry about these fish.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
What’s a crodad!?
crayfish.jpg
also known as cray fish, they are like mini lobsters that live in fresh water, they burrow under dirt in nature, and can be fun to have in a pond but the can tear liners, and also are vicous to some fish

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome @Mattr ! So sorry!

We would love to try to help you figure this thing out, but first we need some information from you:
  • what size is your pond?
  • how long has it been up and running?
  • how many and what size fish do (did) you have?
  • do you have any predators where you live — like herons, raccoons....?
  • have you recently made any changes to your pond (such as adding new fish)?
  • did you notice any unusual behavior from these fish — anything like flashing, top breathing...?
  • do you test your water?
  • can you test your water for us and tell us the NUMBER results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH? This needs to preferably be from a liquid test kit, like API master kit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did this happen suddenly or have the fish had some redness that worsened over time?

Do you have testing kits to check your water quality? That would be my first step.

So sorry about these fish.
I have never had a problem like this and honestly never tested my water! I guess I should...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
holy cow! dont know what that is but I am posting this in hopes people that check my profile see this and respond! my best guess is flashing, which is a parasite, but that looks a lot more serious than that!

it could be something along the lines of a crodad eating the sides out of the fish, because in my area there was a largew crodad infested pond that they lost all of the fish to crodads catching the fish
It’s called a crawdad! It’s not very likely that the fish were attacked by crawdads, mud bugs, crayfish, or crawfish, but sometimes an injury from a predator attack, or a parasitic attack will get infected and turn into an ulcer!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome @Mattr ! So sorry!

We would love to try to help you figure this thing out, but first we need some information from you:
  • what size is your pond?
  • how long has it been up and running?
  • how many and what size fish do (did) you have?
  • do you have any predators where you live — like herons, raccoons....?
  • have you recently made any changes to your pond (such as adding new fish)?
  • did you notice any unusual behavior from these fish — anything like flashing, top breathing...?
  • do you test your water?
  • can you test your water for us and tell us the NUMBER results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH? This needs to preferably be from a liquid test kit, like API master kit.
[/QUOTE
Thanks so much! The pond is approximately 2000 gallons and has been established about 20 years.
Never tested the water. We have a LOT of birds and have had Heron problems before.
I did lose a lot of fish over the winter, but they just disappeared and I assumed it was a predator. I had found a fish quite a distance from the pond and realized I never put my net up this winter. Terrible mistake on my part!
A friend gave me a bunch of his fish and these are the ones that are dying!
I used Melafin when I noticed injuries on the first fish and he died immediately after dosing
Reading this I guess I can see that the fish from my neighbors pond might have had an infection

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mattr We always like to start at the beginning when someone has a fish problem. That means getting a history of your pond. There is nothing we can help you with from just a picture. Please go back and look at the list of questions above, and if you could add a few things like where you live — and add anything else that other members might ask you about your pond.

Also, please don’t worry when members make snap judgements! Doesn’t mean that is your problem.

We have found that in most cases of fish death or illness, poor water quality is the problem, so we like to find out what we have to work with.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought maybe ulcers or a predator but the injuries are never ragged looking

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Mattr We always like to start at the beginning when someone has a fish problem. That means getting a history of your pond. There is nothing we can help you with from just a picture. Please go back and look at the list of questions above, and if you could add a few things like where you live — and add anything else that other members might ask you about your pond.

Also, please don’t worry when members make snap judgements! Doesn’t mean that is your problem.

We have found that in most cases of fish death or illness, poor water quality is the problem, so we like to find out what we have to work with.
Got it! Thanks!
so I am on Long Island NY. We have 2 ponds and this is confined to only one. I have always had an issue with tea colored water as the pond is near a massive pine tree and gets a lot of debris. I net it all out often and have just started using activated carbon and UV light (both of which I removed from the pond when I dosed with melafin)
I will get a water test kit first thing in the morning

Ask a Question