Lost all my beauties!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It does look like ulcers to me.

From what I understand every pond has it's own types of bacteria and the fish become immune to them over time if the bacteria isn't too aggressive or plentiful and the fish are healthy. But when you bring in fish from another source, they can introduce their own bacteria which doesn't bother them, but could be harmful to your fish. Or since they are stressed from the move and new location, they can pick up the bacteria from your pond that your fish are used to and the new fish get sick. Just what I've been told but it does make sense to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What’s a crodad!?
cray fish " fresh water lobster . but i do not feel that is the case in any way. I have had a battle this year myself with what appears to be a very similar condition. I have treated my pond for ALL the suspects Proform c was used as was the one for gill flukes and a bacteria dip. I am leaning toward some ducks that have visited the pond time and again. i believe this past winter being so mild that it did not kill off the usual parasites and diseases. I am not one who adds chemicals no my pond lightly or EVER. but after i lost my most expensive fish it was time to act.. i do not know the name of the bacterial dip i was using that was from my local koi dealer you catch your fish mix up a batch and pour it on the fish wait only 5 seconds and pull them out rinse them off in a vat and return them to the pond. it helped with several of the fish only my largest needed a second dip

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does look like ulcers to me.

From what I understand every pond has it's own types of bacteria and the fish become immune to them over time if the bacteria isn't too aggressive or plentiful and the fish are healthy. But when you bring in fish from another source, they can introduce their own bacteria which doesn't bother them, but could be harmful to your fish. Or since they are stressed from the move and new location, they can pick up the bacteria from your pond that your fish are used to and the new fish get sick. Just what I've been told but it does make sense to me.
That does make sense

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have the testing kits? Having the results would help to know what might be going on. If nothing else, it would eliminate the main reason for these problems, poor water conditions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have the testing kits? Having the results would help to know what might be going on. If nothing else, it would eliminate the main reason for these problems, poor water conditions.
I got the API kit and just tested. All the tests came out perfect except for Phosphate which is 0.25 or slightly less than ideal.
I have dosed with Melafix again and will continue to do so for the next few days. I have 3 fish left and one doesn’t look great. I see some redness by the tail. He is golden so it’s easy to tell. The other 2 are black and I can’t see anything on them. They are all lethargic though and not eating. It will be a miracle if Goldie makes it the night.
Oh and I have turned off the UV and removed the activated carbon.
Please keep your fingers crossed!

Ask a Question