Lost Two Goldfish this Week

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I have 2 200 gallon stock tanks for my ponds. I had an in ground that was closer to 300 gallons at my old house, but we moved back in August. Fish have been fine since then. In the last few days I have lost two of my favorite goldfish.

Tests after the first one, pH, nitrite, nitrate, phosphorous seemed fine.

Tests after the second one showed tons of phosphorous, not sure I trust the test.

After the first one I didn't take any action because he had a really bad sore on his side a while back and he'd slimmed down a lot and I attributed his death to that.

The second one seemed healthy, even yesterday, no ick, no signs of any diseases, wounds etc.

When I found the second one the GFCI for the pump was off. Not sure if the tank got shocked and got the fish, or the GFCI tripped because of the rain and the oxygen levels went down and took a weak fish with it.

I am concerned about some sort of heavy metal build up from the galvanized stock tanks, not sure.

I have 7 goldfish (down from 9, bought 8 original and one was born) in 200 gallons and a handful of little zebra danios.

I did a 1/4 water change today. Probably going to do that daily for a while.

I added Stress Cote and Stress Zyme today, went out and bought some.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPEG
    IMG_0834.JPEG
    227.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0836.JPEG
    IMG_0836.JPEG
    241.8 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm so sorry you lost a couple goldfish.

You pond looks like a little plant filled oasis.

I agree with @Mmathis about checking your water temps as a smaller container will heat up faster. Consider a source of shade.

I've read the galvanized tanks leach zinc into the water which is harmful to fish. Could you line the tank with a liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will definitely check the water temp, raining right now so I'm sure it's cooler.

I thought goldfish were pretty hardy to temp?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Very nice and clear water, looks great. Sometimes fish just die. I have loss some for no reason.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tank temp seems just fine. It's been in the 70's and raining off and on here the last few days. It's hard to think losing 2 fish in a few days is them "just dieing."

Theories are:
(1) Metal build up in tank.
(2) Phosphorous build up in tank.
(3) Tangled in Vegetation
(4) Electrical Casualty

To address (1) and (2) I am doing 20% water changes daily.

For (3) I have trimmed back a lot of excess vegetation.

(4) I have inspected the equipment and it seems fine, so not sure about that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What do your water tests show? You need to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH and pH with liquid testing kits, not strips.

How large is your tank and how many fish are in there?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I stopped after to 20% changes as the pH got off. pH is a bit low. Phosphorous seems high but it's hard to trust the test kit as it's a bit old now.

There were 10 goldfish in there, now there are 8. THere are about 8-10 giant/zebra danios for bug control.

Ask a Question