Lots of filters, 2 goldfish, and still ammonia!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Jason M Molitor , looks like you're in good hands, I just want to add my welcome! :
.... and don't worry about your ph being high, as long as it doesn't fluctuate your fish should be fine. My ph has always been that high! the only time I've had problems with it, was when I let people convince me to try lowering it, so now I leave it alone and don't even test it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5Be
Country
United States
IMG_20180805_154412.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180805_154329.jpg
    IMG_20180805_154329.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_20180805_154150.jpg
    IMG_20180805_154150.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 439
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello, glad to getting some advice for you pond, I must say you set up a very cute pond for your daughter's.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice pond! Are you sure no dogs are lifting their legs on those plants and causing the high ammonia?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Jason. I like the plantings around the pond. Your wife did a fantastic job. Just wondering why do you have what looks like soap bubbles? Is that from the scrubbies you put in by mistake? If that is so you should probably follow Mitch's advise and drain everything.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what about runoff from the yard and fertilizer from the pond .Did you look at your test kit because it does have 2 bottles

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome to our group! Nice looking pond you built

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I noticed that the ammonia test tube in your photo isn't full to the fill line... If your are using an API test kit your water sample should fill the tube to that line. Then add 8 drops of ammonia testing solution bottle #1, followed by 8 drops of ammonia testing solution bottle #2. Cap it, shake 5 seconds, and wait 5 minutes to read the results.

Unless you are using a different kit than the one I described, or perhaps you dumped out part of the tested sample before your photograph..?. I'm thinking you may be getting false readings on your ammonia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5Be
Country
United States
I noticed that the ammonia test tube in your photo isn't full to the fill line... If your are using an API test kit your water sample should fill the tube to that line. Then add 8 drops of ammonia testing solution bottle #1, followed by 8 drops of ammonia testing solution bottle #2. Cap it, shake 5 seconds, and wait 5 minutes to read the results.

Unless you are using a different kit than the one I described, or perhaps you dumped out part of the tested sample before your photograph..?. I'm thinking you may be getting false readings on your ammonia.

Yes, I filled it a bit just to show that the solution in Bottle 1 is brown, not to show a real test. Just wanted to make sure it looked right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5Be
Country
United States
Hi Jason. I like the plantings around the pond. Your wife did a fantastic job. Just wondering why do you have what looks like soap bubbles? Is that from the scrubbies you put in by mistake? If that is so you should probably follow Mitch's advise and drain everything.

I'll put up a photo of the bubbles. They pop almost immediately once the fountain is shut off, and do not look like soap bubbles.

I've done a large water change when the wind blew the fountain over and it pumped out 2/3 of the water while we were at church.

Still have bubbles after a really large water change.

Ask a Question