Lotus Green Genie UV Just not working!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Atlantis Windsor Pond 308 gallons
13 odd rescue goldfish & tench ?
Pump is 600 Swell one, and a lotus Green Genie Filter 24000
Water quality tested OK

Water is a lovely shade of green!! Algae!
Have changed the bulb, tightened the cable tie of the unit as suggested by Lotus
Water still not clearing!!!

Any suggestions please?? before i purchase a water treatment, and demand money back from Lotus??

Tiaxxxx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Don't add any chemicals. Give it time. If it doesn't clear up, perhaps your filtration is inadequate for the fish load you have. Plants will help, lots of plants. They compete against the algae.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i sink oxygenating plants attached to rocks ??
Goldfish do tend to stir up the aquatic compost xx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can i sink oxygenating plants attached to rocks ??
Goldfish do tend to stir up the aquatic compost xx
Sure. There's also floating plants. Water hyacinths, water lettuce. You can even just toss pieces of Parrot's feather right in the water or plant them on the edges so the spill out into the water.

L

Lin

Hi All,

Atlantis Windsor Pond 308 gallons
13 odd rescue goldfish & tench ?
Pump is 600 Swell one, and a lotus Green Genie Filter 24000
Water quality tested OK

Water is a lovely shade of green!! Algae!
Have changed the bulb, tightened the cable tie of the unit as suggested by Lotus
Water still not clearing!!!

Any suggestions please?? before i purchase a water treatment, and demand money back from Lotus??

Tiaxxxx
You could try Barley Concentrate. Sometimes adding 10% clean water exchange helps. Your Pond might be too small for 13 fish. I'ts very frustrating to run UV and still have green water.UGH! Good Luck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You could try Barley Concentrate. Sometimes adding 10% clean water exchange helps. Your Pond might be too small for 13 fish. I'ts very frustrating to run UV and still have green water.UGH! Good Luck!
HI lin
Thank you
How many fish you think i shd have? Happy to regome some...
I rescued thse from my elderly neighbours pond
All her electrics failed... xxx

L

Lin

You get my Good Neighbor Award for the Rescue. :love:
It's been so long since I looked in my book on water volume, I can't remember how many fish is correct. As near as I can remember it said each fish based on size should have so many sq.ft. of space per gallons of water. That little book was full of info. It even gave the calculation to find how many gal of water in the pond based on rate of flow by clocking the water as you fill an empty pond. If I locate that info, I'll post it here to you.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
HI lin
Thank you
How many fish you think i shd have? Happy to regome some...
I rescued thse from my elderly neighbours pond
All her electrics failed... xxx

It’s not really how many fish? It’s the type of fish and how big they are in relation to your filter. Huge difference between 2-3 inch fish and 6-12 inch fish in the amount of waste they produce. UV’s are bandaids not solving the problem of excess nutrients and can even add to them as the Uv kills the free floating algae cells which are now dead and just contributing to more nutrients which leads to more algae.

Adequate filtration 1.5-2x pond volume per hour, intake should be at opposite end of pond from return, to help eliminate dead spots, will help. As poconojoe mentioned plants and quick growing ones at that will help starve the algae of nutrients, as well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been so long since I looked in my book on water volume, I can't remember how many fish is correct. As near as I can remember it said each fish based on size should have so many sq.ft. of space per gallons of water. That little book was full of info. It even gave the calculation to find how many gal of water in the pond based on rate of flow by clocking the water as you fill an empty pond. If I locate that info, I'll post it here to you.
Thank you my lovely
That only half the story
There were about 7 large koi, but far too large for my pond
Managed to find a koi enthusiast locally who had those
I could leave all these fish to die could i ????xx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My water was green all last year. This Spring was the same until I built a bog. Now my water is crystal clear. I sold my two pressure filters and UV light. The bog is now my only filter. My pond, over the many years, has never been this clear and there is literally zero maintenance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My water was green all last year. This Spring was the same until I built a bog. Now my water is crystal clear. I sold my two pressure filters and UV light. The bog is now my only filter. My pond, over the many years, has never been this clear and there is literally zero maintenance.
Hi
Thank you
This is a fibreglass preformed pond, so don't think big wd work with that ?? xx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can make a bog for any size pond, even a small pond. Some have used something as small as those long rectangular planters. They hang them over their pond or sit them on the ground partially hanging over the pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
100 gallon stock tank & window boxes!
022.jpg
031.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would love to know what book this is so i can get a copy xx

Ask a Question