sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had success .I grew them in a glass in my kitchen window and used pond water that I would let warm up and replace it everyday .But the lotus would not survive once I put it in the waterfall pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Has anyone had luck with growing lotus from seed? We tried last year, sprouted and even had a couple leaves then every single seed rotted. We want to put them in an old double wash basin; not the pond. Thanks.

I had a similar experience. My problem has always been that I started them too late in the year, so they hadn't developed enough growth to make it through winter. I had one left over I wanted to try this year, but I think I left it in my work office before I went into quarantine and now I am not sure I have time.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi IPA- growing my 3rd set of lotus from seed. Last years crop got eaten by the deer once I transferred them to a stock tank. The big thing is careful handling of the seedlings and do not fertilize until you get several aerial leaves. Then go light on the fertilizer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @addy1 , your response helped me find the post by @mrsclem on how to grow them. I think the problem was that I broke the roots off when planting them.
They are very fragile once growing. I bought tubers, only moved them from the first big pots I had them in when I dumped those pots into my 300 gallon tank to run free. I have not touched them since and they do great, get dirty water from the big pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is my tub of lotus. Just getting going, we have been real cool this spring. The water flows from the upper right small pond to the lotus pond then out and into the next small pond which then flows into the big pond.
IMG_3821.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG

Ask a Question