lotus question

Reaction score
Country
India
i grew a lotus plant from seed once it had its floater leaves i moved it to a tub with garden soil and sand...after tht it had 3 more leaves but then the leaves have started turning black wilting all of them...the new shoots too r turning brown and i have no clue why...plz help. its not in direct sunlight but get good amount of it.

thanx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Like @Meyer Jordan said, they need fertilizer. I'm getting ready to put mine in tubs outside and the directions I was sent said 6 tabs per month, in a half barrel. @addy1 has a flow through systems for her lotus, allowing fish waste to feed the lotus.

Reaction score
Country
India
i added 4 neem tabs put them near the roots.? shud i have added some to the water? anything else tht i can add?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine look icky too. The instructions with my tuber said to hold off on fertilizing until the first leaf begins to lift off the surface. I might need to do it a little sooner.
I have some Once A Year aquatic plant fertilizer spikes. I'm guessing my lotus might need 2 or 3! I like the idea of these. Stick down in the soil or growing medium next to the plant -- and done!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We fertilize our lotuses every other week all summer long. Those once a year tabs may not work - do they say slow release on them? And we also don't fertilize until the first aerial leaves appear. Not sure why but that's what we were told when we started with lotuses.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not added any fertilizer for years now, but they do get the dirty fish water, slow flow, pond debris etc, seems they do fine, a lot of blooms. Maybe I will add some this year see if they bloom even more.

Reaction score
Country
India
i have garden soil and on top layer of sand , the seed is embedded in tht...shud i take out the seed change the water add fertilizer to the soil and then layer of sand again then add aquarium water to it...or should i leave it as it is?

Reaction score
Country
India
I have not added any fertilizer for years now, but they do get the dirty fish water, slow flow, pond debris etc, seems they do fine, a lot of blooms. Maybe I will add some this year see if they bloom even more.
do goldfish eat the lotus plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
i have garden soil and on top layer of sand , the seed is embedded in tht...shud i take out the seed change the water add fertilizer to the soil and then layer of sand again then add aquarium water to it...or should i leave it as it is?
I am just trying to grow my first lotus. The instructions that came with my tubers said to wait for the first aerial leaves to appear before fertilizing. But see what the expert lotus growers say!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
do goldfish eat the lotus plants?
My lotus are in a tub separate from the big pond that is full of fish, but in the lotus tub I have seen 3-4 fish from eggs wandering in. When I had the lotus in the pond with fish they never bothered them.

Ask a Question