Wanted Lotus tuber

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have lotus tubers to share or sell? Of course I would pay shipping as well.

I would prefer a hardy dwarf or semi dwarf lotus but am willing to try any type.

I purchased a nice size tuber online last year and accidentally stepped on it while in the process of planting. I think I damaged it and that's why it never grew.

I'd like to give it another shot this year without having to spend so much money.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lotus tubers are best bought before they start growing. They tend to be fragile.

I have a lot of tubers, but they free grow in the lotus tub, I never dig in there to try and remove them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lotus tubers are best bought before they start growing. They tend to be fragile.

I have a lot of tubers, but they free grow in the lotus tub, I never dig in there to try and remove them.

Yes, I have read they are fragile. I will most likely buy from William Tricker again. I am just hesitant to spend another $40 or so after what happened last year. Although as I mentioned it was probably due to me stepping on it that it didn't grow :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lotuses are tricky. My daughter loves to mess with them so I leave them up to her. She found a woman nearby (on Craigslist maybe?) who was selling tubers for $5. She went to her house and the woman had them growing in dozens of trash cans all over her back yard. She was a bit of a lotus hoarder I guess you could say. She also gave her a tutorial (a tub-orial? :ROFLMAO:) on how to handle them and plant them and care for them. They're too picky for my taste!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No sooner did I post my "I don't mess with lotuses" comment than I look outside and see something odd floating in the pond... looks like a wreath... or a circle of something... HEY THAT'S THE LOTUS THAT WAS IN THE POT IN THE POND! My very naughty, very spawn-y fish had pulled the whole thing out of the pot. So I had to FaceTime my daughter at work (YES I KNOW YOU'RE AT WORK BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT!) so she could walk me through the rescue. The good news is there are lots of growing tips, so she can split it up and replace some that we lost in the great Polar Vortex.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may have to wait till nest year to buy one from Trickers or anyone else. They don't usually ship once they start actively growing. I wanted to divide mine but it sprouted before I could get to it. Its taken over my 75 gal preform.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They ship according to this map. I'm in zone 5, so end of May thru June is the earliest they ship here. It's been unusually cool here for this time of year. Tomorrow they say we may hit 80. So we go from having the furnace on to having the air conditioning on.

Screenshot_20190518-124433_Chrome.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You may have to wait till nest year to buy one from Trickers or anyone else. They don't usually ship once they start actively growing. I wanted to divide mine but it sprouted before I could get to it. Its taken over my 75 gal preform.

Wow, So yours is pretty big. How long do you suppose you've had it?

Ask a Question