Lotus

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Lotus, but I do know a little bit about transplanting and growing from seeds. Until a root structure is established, most plants cannot handle the shock of massive nutrients. Every time I tried fertilizing transplanted bamboo, they got burned. When I wait until they get established, they respond well to the fertilizer.

Maybe this recipe you are using is too potent for a new plant.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Dog gone it.........I was hoping they would make it so we could see what they looked like
cry.gif

Reaction score
that very well could be fertilizer burn. My experience is only with tubers, which came from established plants so it is possible there were too much nutrients for such a delicate start. The good news is that its early enough in the season to try again, I feel bad for recommending such a strong recipe, in hindsight, it would make sense to let them get more established before giving them so much fuel.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well after reading Oldmarines entries about growing lotus from seed I decided to give it a try. Got the seed heads at a craft store. 20 seed of which about 12 have sprouted after a week. I will start transplanting next week but not fertilize until they are larger! Glad I went back and read the updates on the thread! Not sure what they will look like but I have never seen a lotus I didn't like. Will keep the progress updated.

Reaction score
I put my lotus seeds in water today. This is my first attempt at trying to sprout lotus, hopefully all will go well, I also planted some water lily seeds today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My new pond is 2 times the area of the old pond so I need more plants.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I have 5 lotus plants! Still have a couple of seeds that show signs of sprouting. I put them in a large pot with pond planting medium and have them covered with 3 inchs of water. So far so good.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just went out to look at mine down in the pond and it has one shoot comming up
I do want to get a wisky barrel ,,and separate the lotis i have
I guess its time

Reaction score
My lotus seeds have sprouted. I sanded the indented end as instructed and placed them in my 55G plant tank. Some floated, some sank immediately, 48 hours later I noticed that the seeds had swelled and some were split. This morning I have green shoots, some more than 4 inches long. I will be potting them in individual pots with a commercial aquatic plant soil this weekend. I'll try to get some photos.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Can someone post a photo of the dried Lotus flower from Michaels and what the seed looks like so everyone can get a feel for this?

Ask a Question