Lotus

Reaction score
Is a 1 gallon potting container large enough for the first years lotus growth? I will be potting mine this coming weekend. Remember these are newly sprouted seeds. I don't anticipate huge growth in year one but I don't want to limit growth either.

Thanks

Reaction score
I don't begrudge the garden center making a living but $40 seems excessive. I love trading plants, I just haven't found any lotus locally and shipping can get expensive. Maybe you could save some seed pods at the end of the year to share.

clm

Reaction score
a one gallon pot is likely too small despite the fact you're just planting a seedling. They produce a lot more tubers than you think the first year. Mine last year produced quite a few leaves and when I hauled the pots up out of their winter home and out of curiosity emptied one to see if the plants had survived the winter, that one little seedling had produced 5 healthy tubers that had retreated to the very bottom of the pot for the winter. These were 5 gallon pots.

You think 40.00 is expensive for a lotus plant......they're close to 100.00 here, which is why I've always gone the seed route. 8 seeds for 3.00 or one tuber for 100.00. No contest, lol.

I've become quite a lotus nut and now have 6 pots of them. 2 pots of the native yellow lotus that I started from seed last year and I'm hopeful they will actually bloom for me this year and 4 pots of the sacred lotus that I started from seed this year.

clm

Reaction score
I have a lotus that I purchased on line as a tuber. I haven't had much blooms but I did not give any plant food either.
I will be getting some plant food TODAY!

Reaction score
We just bought three nelumbo two pink, and one white. Can we plant all three in 36" X 36" x10" round pot the way you describe with Osmocote and cow manure? All three have established roots, tubers and leaves about the size of an orange to grapefruit.

How do I tell what species they are? I assume the genus is nelumbo? All the tags say is small to midsized lotus, Nelumbo white and Nelumbo pink?

Thanks great thread!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I purchased a good sized pot last year, did beutifully. I kept waiting and waiting, got two really scrawny leaves, and nothing else. Took it out of the pond yesterday. What did i do wrong? I set it about 3' deep for the winter. Did I cut the leaves off too soon perhaps? I did not let them die off on their own, as I needed to close up the pond. Thanks for all your help!

Reaction score
What does it mean when your leaves turn yellow just after you plant them as you describe. I planted three in a 33" round pot about 8" deep. The tubers are planted in maneur with osmocote underneathe like you said. The have pea ravel and about 3 " of pond water over them. The leaves are turning yellow or browning around the edges. Is this just normal since we potted them and repotted them to wash off the sand they stayed in over the winter? Three tubers in this space. Is that OK or will we get too crowded.?

Reaction score
DrDave said:
The manure might be burning them if the root system has not been established.

Hmmm, what should I plant it on then? It had some good, black and white/clear, feathery-looking roots( water plant roots I think) It is like 2" of manuer with a thin layer of Osmocote underneathe. Isn't that what this thread was saying was the way to plant lotus?:confused: I look forward to your ideas.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Every water plant I have ever started, was done in pea gravel and letting the pondwater do the fertilizing. I sell about a thousand plants every year from the growth. I have never added any fertilizer to a water plant.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
same here except i dont sell 1000s...some but not that many... peagravel is the only planting media i use!! and some larger 1 to 1&1/2" river rock ontop to help keep the koi from making to big of a mess digging in the pots.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Every water plant I have ever started, was done in pea gravel and letting the pondwater do the fertilizing. I sell about a thousand plants every year from the growth. I have never added any fertilizer to a water plant.

Thanks for the idea

Reaction score
Here's our lotus tub. planted in composted cow manure with about a cup and a half of osmocote in the bottom and a layer of pea gra gravel on top
lotusMichiganliliesdogs025.jpg

lotusMichiganliliesdogs043.jpg
lotusMichiganliliesdogs044.jpg
lotusMichiganliliesdogs046.jpg

The leaf damage is from recent storms. I planted several other lotus in pots in our pond, but those have pretty much failed to this point. Caterpillars have devoured every leaf. They look like skeletons now.

Ask a Question