Lymnaea snails - posting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have some of our lymnaea (not sure of exact species) snails that I would like to post to a friend - can anyone advise on the best way to package them? I was thinking double bagged in a fish bag with very soggy sphagnum, within a sturdy box to prevent being squished? Is this best or should I put more water in? Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Kate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m no expert, is this an aquatic snail? If so, I’d definitely double bag, heavy duty plastic, and enough water to give them some space. Here, I looked into mailing some guppies to my uncle, I have to use a specific type of plastic, and have enough stuff to absorb the water if it does leak. I’m thinking I’ll just drive them to him at some point instead! And look into the weather at least a week out, pick a time when even if they are delayed, they’ll be ok.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m no expert, is this an aquatic snail? If so, I’d definitely double bag, heavy duty plastic, and enough water to give them some space. Here, I looked into mailing some guppies to my uncle, I have to use a specific type of plastic, and have enough stuff to absorb the water if it does leak. I’m thinking I’ll just drive them to him at some point instead! And look into the weather at least a week out, pick a time when even if they are delayed, they’ll be ok.
Thanks Jamie, yes they're aquatic, but from what I can find out they surface to breathe, so think as long as theres no risk of drying out they don't necessarily need to be submerged...?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks Jamie, yes they're aquatic, but from what I can find out they surface to breathe, so think as long as theres no risk of drying out they don't necessarily need to be submerged...?

Yes snails that live in tidal areas or spots that get exposed to air, can be shipped with damp paper towels or sphagnum moss. I have ordered tons of inverts and many are normally shipped this way.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1616089409525.gif
and welcome @Hopeinthedark
Happy snail mailing
1616089550010.gif