Pond snails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a new wildlife pond, No All going well but discovered we've got several pond snails. We didn't buy them so I'm assuming they must've hitchiked in on my pond pants. Now I'm now seeing lots or jelly (eggs?) under the lily leaves. My question I should I remove it or leave it? I've heard they will damage the plants. It's a wildlife pond not a fish pond but don't want them to decimate my pond plants & the ecosystem either. Have no idea of the lifespan of a pond snail!? Thank you xxx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The jelly is their eggs. Not sure what kind of snails they are, some only eat decomposing plant material, others eat live plants. I’d wipe off all eggs on leaves, sides of the pond, check rock if any, and pick out all the snails you find, then you might introduce a snail that does only eat decomposing matter, as it will help break down what falls in or dies. It’ll be a long battle, so best of luck

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always introduce snails. They are part of a natural ecosystem. Like Jamie said, some do eat living vegetation but in my experience, most don't. Unless you just don't want them, why not take a wait and see what happens approach? No problem if they are only eating dead leaves. You will probably have a bunch for awhile but over time, the population will stabilize. A wildlife pond will almost certainly benefit with the presence of snails. Frogs love them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1598024432344.gif
@NatureBrit
I just leave the snails to do as they please in my pond. No issues w/them yet, over 15 yrs. They do a lot of house cleaning in the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Since yours is a nature pond, I would leave them alone....well, unless you start seeing a problem. Mother Nature has a way of keeping things in balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Plants outdoors can grow very quickly and overcome damage from snails. Snails can be a problem for plants in an aquarium or smaller system like that where resources are more limited. I don't think you need be concerned about them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always introduce snails. They are part of a natural ecosystem. Like Jamie said, some do eat living vegetation but in my experience, most don't. Unless you just don't want them, why not take a wait and see what happens approach? No problem if they are only eating dead leaves. You will probably have a bunch for awhile but over time, the population will stabilize. A wildlife pond will almost certainly benefit with the presence of snails. Frogs love them.
Thank you no I def don't want to get rid. Just don't wasnt sure an excess wouldn't harm rather than hinder. Glad that's not the case. I'm hoping for frogs its v built up around me so maybe not.

Ask a Question