Snails?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently I asked a question about frog eggs in my pond I was told by quite a few people that if there’s living things in my pond I should leave them there well I have a new thing in my pond it’s little snails lots of them, good or bad

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Personally, unless they are snails that I put there (Japanese trap door snails), I don’t like snails in my pond! They eat plants, multiply in outrageous numbers, and some can carry diseases (certain snails can be one stage of a parasitic life cycle). I routinely eliminate every one ( except trap doors) I come across — but that’s just me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have tons of little tiny snails in my pond & I just let them be. I don't believe they've ever caused any problem that I could identify, and I'm not quite sure how I'd get rid of them even if they had.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do have to remove some from my pond because they just seem to get hold of everything and clog up the outlets from my filters .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently I asked a question about frog eggs in my pond I was told by quite a few people that if there’s living things in my pond I should leave them there well I have a new thing in my pond it’s little snails lots of them, good or bad
Personally, unless they are snails that I put there (Japanese trap door snails), I don’t like snails in my pond! They eat plants, multiply in outrageous numbers, and some can carry diseases (certain snails can be one stage of a parasitic life cycle). I routinely eliminate every one ( except trap doors) I come across — but that’s just me.
If I would choose to eliminate the snails how would I go about doing that

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Whatever you do don't start using chemicals or you could be sorry! Did you get them from adding plants you got from somewhere or did they just appear out of nowhere? If out of nowhere then I would assume they came in from bird legs or some critter that came for a drink. Not sure if they can just cruise on in from distances on their own. You could just net them out and put in a creek or lake near you if they came in from nature then back to nature they go.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Oldsrolet The only way I know of is to pick them off whenever you see them. There’s no guarantee that you’re ever going to completely eliminate them. As @j.w said, they come from any and everywhere.

I have to ask, but is your screen name a combo of Oldsmobile and Chevrolet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Oldsrolet The only way I know of is to pick them off whenever you see them. There’s no guarantee that you’re ever going to completely eliminate them. As @j.w said, they come from any and everywhere.

Yes I have a 70 Chevelle with a Oldsmobile engine , 455 cid, and drivetrain .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I have a 70 Chevelle with a Oldsmobile engine , 455 cid, and drivetrain .
Thanks for the info about the snails I have no idea where they came from. By the way my frog eggs did hatch and there were a little tadpoles swimming around but I don’t see any now I don’t know whether the colder weather out of season did something to them but I’m not seeing any now

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tons of snails, they have caused no harm to the fish or the ponds. I let them live, but then again I let everything live.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As most have said, I have tons of snails also. Never noticed anything bad come from having them in the pond. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to get rid of them if I tried.

Ask a Question