Main pump how many hrs does it have to run

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks anyway I would have enjoyed it . Trying to get as much information about running it as I can .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks anyway I would have enjoyed it . Trying to get as much information about running it as I can .

I am not to far from you in RI. I do leave my pumps running 24/7 but do shut them down in the winter, this year I left them off for a couple months, I am up in running now. It has been running for about a month now. Last year It was on all year I believe ( it was a mild winter). I do keep aeration going 24/7 in the winter for gas exchange. I have 3 pumps running in the nice weather and only my main pump running my stream in the winter when I keep it on. For the size of your pond I may skip the koi and go for some nice looking goldfish. I have never had a fish loss due to winter, a great blue heron did great a few.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@RobAmy - I guess I never knew you ran three pumps. Do all three pump to the stream?
@Lisak1 No, I have one going to a side water feature that flows into the pond for 2 inline filters I added later. If you look on the left of the stream on the photo you can see it running. The other is going into the stream but more for additional bio filtration. Both of those are 1800 gph pumps placed in the pond. I figured if my main pump goes down I will still have a little flow in the stream and then it adds over volume to stream. I actually have a 4th pump that runs a small bubbler feature I made with a 140 gph pump but I do not count that. If I redo anything I would run another skimmer and have the pumps in there vs the pond. It would provide more pull and easier cleaning vs pulling out of the pond. Click on the link and the picture goes larger so you can see it easier.

Pond panorama by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Here is the bubbler
IMG_4654.JPG

Here is a diagram I made of the filter outlets early on, air pump is different now and the bubbler is not there.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
That would be great I would really appreciate it. It would be great to see how your setup is and find out some good pond stores in the area. I'll try to put up some pictures of my pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The pump would be sufficient for the pond . I was looking at lotus plants. I also have iris plants and daylillys that I would like to put in. From mid spring to mid October the pond gets full sun for 8 to 9 hrs a day . The middle pond is about 18 inches at its deepest the edges are 6 to 8. The largest pond is 2 1/2 ft.
Oh, definitely too small for koi!

Ask a Question