Make the raccoons go away!

lachancesare

Lachancesare
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Okay, it's been hot and I realize a raccoons got to have water but...

Info. Pond 800g, 2 waterfalls and no fish. I live in the reasonably sized city Spokane, WA. Lots of houses, lights, dogs, cats...

Last night the raccoons trashed my pond dumping 3 or 4 large rocks in, dug up my flexible tube going to the waterfall / filter and bit a bunch of holes in it. Needless to say, I am not happy. So what else is new. So how do I keep these guys away from my pond? I've read about deterrence. Motion sensor red lights, (supposed to scare them off) Do you think those work? Spread hot sauce around. Or hot peppers with peanut butter on it. Electric fence, Etc. Then there's trap and relocate. (Seems pointless, there's always more.) Or trap and kill. (No) Poison them. (Told very hard and a bad idea and besides, they're just animals.) Shoot them. (Tempting but...) Anyhoo, what do y'all think? Is there a way that works to get rid of them?

lachancesare

Lachancesare
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Raccoons are smart critters.
I use a single hot wire at the top of my rabbit fencing to keep them out of the veggie garden.
But getting into your tubing sounds a bit too pushy.
I have allowed my locals to use the pond to drink and cool off (they made a "watered out of my marginals...lay on it awhile. Sometimes swim across lower large pond. They never bother my tubing, though!... would there be a reason there is salt on it?

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a single hot wire at the top of my rabbit fencing to keep them out of the veggie garden.
I have allowed my locals to use the pond to drink and cool off (they made a "watered out of my marginals...lay on it awhile. Sometimes swim across lower large pond. They never bother my tubing, though!... would there be a reason there is salt on it?
I'm the same as you. I don't care if they want to take a little dip. Hey it's hot! But I draw the line at vandalism.

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PS Salt?

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Okay, it's been hot and I realize a raccoons got to have water but...

Info. Pond 800g, 2 waterfalls and no fish. I live in the reasonably sized city Spokane, WA. Lots of houses, lights, dogs, cats...

Last night the raccoons trashed my pond dumping 3 or 4 large rocks in, dug up my flexible tube going to the waterfall / filter and bit a bunch of holes in it. Needless to say, I am not happy. So what else is new. So how do I keep these guys away from my pond? I've read about deterrence. Motion sensor red lights, (supposed to scare them off) Do you think those work? Spread hot sauce around. Or hot peppers with peanut butter on it. Electric fence, Etc. Then there's trap and relocate. (Seems pointless, there's always more.) Or trap and kill. (No) Poison them. (Told very hard and a bad idea and besides, they're just animals.) Shoot them. (Tempting but...) Anyhoo, what do y'all think? Is there a way that works to get rid of them?
shoot em

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know i should have said battle of wits, but incase she saw the post i didn't want to confuse her

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome flag.gif
@1000heroes

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually, for a few years now, I've been putting a mixture of hot sauce and water in a spray bottle and squirting it all over the rocks around my pond every 3 weeks or so and that makes the raccoons avoid the place like a plague. Us people can't smell it but raccoons have very good noses and it stinks to high heavens to them. 👍

PS I forgot to mention that I also put a motion sensing spotlight on the pond aswell. Raccoons are very private and don't like the light. I've got some neighborhood cats that like to frequent the pond too. They set the light off once in a while as well but I don't know if they care or not. 🐈

Last edited:

Ask a Question