Making a pond smaller

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
A smaller pump will reduce the flow and sound. Plants in and around the pond will soften the looks. I think it is beautiful

Reaction score
It would be almost as difficult to make it smaller than to build a new pond. You would start with a hole already dug and go from there. Basically, everything has to be taken apart. I would drain the pond and pull the liner away from the sides. Then get some fill and put it around the edges until you get the desired shape. You'll have to do some digging but you can put that dirt back where you want it filled in. I would try to save the waterfall and just add a valve to adjust the water flow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if you paid to have it installed then you can call the contractor and they can change it or they can change thew noise it makes .To me it is too pretty to destroy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

How you plant will depend largely on what growing zone you're in. To add a little more confusion... :) I agree that cutting back the flow of the falls will lessen the noise, and maybe some smaller rocks/stones in the way of the water flow to break it up. The over all diameter of the pond could be visually lessened by installing a floating island. A couple of potted plants in the island would also absorb some sound, plus provide shade/shelter for the fish particularly If you are in a hot zone.

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Reducing how far the water falls at a time would go a long way to reducing the sound. You could also change the way the water falls - make it pour smoothly back into the pond instead of crashing down all those steps.

Ask a Question