Mass murder last night :-(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Very sorry to hear that. We've all been through it. I have some heron netting coming and I'll post pics when its up.

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I am still in the planning stages of my big pond, but I could not wait to get fishies again. I swapped my lower tier wine barrel for a 100 gallon stock tank and set it up this weekend. I put rubber coated chicken wire over it and secured it by weaving extra long hose clamps thru the holes and secured them end to end and tightening them up under the flange of the stock tank. So it's like one really long hose clamp. My teenager pulled on it and could not pull it off, so I think we should be OK from raccoons. I also kept the water level down a bit (maybe 2/3 full) so if they did reach thru the wire, their arms would just barely skim the top of the water. I got a few feeder fish from the pet store (comets/shubs) to get the tank cycled again with good bacteria. I did also keep all of the water from the old tank (25 gals approx) and filtered it thru the pump and thru cheesecloth/quilt batting to keep some good bacteria also, so it's not all new water, more like a large water change.

I also installed a ball valve w/hose attachment at the bottom drain of the stock tank (wrapped in insulation during winter) so when I need to do a water change or clean the muck, I can attach a hose and open the valve and use that water in the garden. Hopefully the veggies will appreciate it.

During the summer, I will probably keep the fish in the bottom tank with just floating plants/water lilies (keeping screen attached), then use the upper tank (no fish) for the taller plants that would have issues growing thru the wire like my water iris. That way if those rascalls do show up, they can't get to anything except some plants. In about a month or so if everything is going good I will be able to get some new fish from my local water garden shop. When it is pretty again, I will attach pics in a gallery.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

-Star1270

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I would worry about any motion detector that emits a sound that is unaudible to humans, but unwanted animals can hear. Wouldn't that also mean your dogs and cats can hear it, and would that hurt their ears and hearing? Also, would you need one pointing in at least 2 different directions, to catch them from all sides of the pond? Just a thought.
And, I had to laugh about all the deterrents. I can't imagine if I lived in a subdivision (I don't) and had scarecrows in my back yard that would move and shake and scream when a raccoon came walking by at NIGHT! Haha, I bet your neighbors don't appreciate that. Come to think of it, I don't think I would want to hear that. :razz: And, as also stated above, raccoons are very smart, they will figure out that the sounds and water didn't hurt them, and go back eventually anyhow. Raccoons are in towns around here, go through people's garbage, always make a mess wherever they have been. I always know if there are any raccoons, opossums, or skunks in the area, as they find the cat food left out for the barn cats, and eat it all. My cats have food 24/7, so when it's totally gone, someone else is helping themselves. But, you don't want to feed the raccoons, as that will only have them bringing their relatives for the free feast!
Good luck!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey yeah, remember Tmann's raccoon twins? They were so cute and he posted pix of them and we all got so attached to them. I'm not sure but I think he doesn't want them coming around anymore. They can really cause some havoc!

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues since the fox that was running it the field behind our house got taken out by a semi on the high way last year. I've heard that if you have your sides steep, they won't be able to hunt very easy and will find easier food to prey on. My sides are steep and haven't had no problems at all since the fox is gone. I know racoons frequent my pond because they poop in the bog, but the bog is above ground and sits higher than the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The raccoons are just fertilizing your bog plants Ryan. Poor fox. I would think where there is one fox there would be more? Guess you will just have to enjoy the peacefulness while you can and hope no more find your place. My sides are steep and no problems here w/ Rocky and his friends here so far. Brrrrrrrrr, I noticed its only 25F on your temp thingy. We are almost twice that here!

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
But it's getting warmer here. Spring is almost here. Pretty sure most of the frost is out of the ground with all the rain we had. The rivers are more than a trickle right now.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
CountryEscape said:
I would worry about any motion detector that emits a sound that is unaudible to humans, but unwanted animals can hear. Wouldn't that also mean your dogs and cats can hear it, and would that hurt their ears and hearing? Also, would you need one pointing in at least 2 different directions, to catch them from all sides of the pond? Just a thought.
And, I had to laugh about all the deterrents. I can't imagine if I lived in a subdivision (I don't) and had scarecrows in my back yard that would move and shake and scream when a raccoon came walking by at NIGHT! Haha, I bet your neighbors don't appreciate that. Come to think of it, I don't think I would want to hear that. :razz: And, as also stated above, raccoons are very smart, they will figure out that the sounds and water didn't hurt them, and go back eventually anyhow. Raccoons are in towns around here, go through people's garbage, always make a mess wherever they have been. I always know if there are any raccoons, opossums, or skunks in the area, as they find the cat food left out for the barn cats, and eat it all. My cats have food 24/7, so when it's totally gone, someone else is helping themselves. But, you don't want to feed the raccoons, as that will only have them bringing their relatives for the free feast!
Good luck!
Unfortunately the device will effect dogs and cats. I did not read the details before sending you the suggestion CE. Did anyone suggest the water springer deterent that is motion activated?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, Lou, someone brought that up, and scare crows with sounds! Knowing me, I would walk out there with the system on and get drenched. I'm just way to scatter brained to remember to shut the thing off every morning. Plus, my dogs wander in and out of the yard, so none of these would work for me. I'm hoping my dogs being around at night would keep predators away; however, I know a heron would stop in very sneakily, and have a feast if the fish were unaware, and wreak havoc in a short period of time, dogs probably would not even know it was there, they are so quiet. I'm praying they don't think about stopping in at my bed and breakfast! Stay out at the local hotel (farm pond) instead!!!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
CountryEscape said:
Yep, Lou, someone brought that up, and scare crows with sounds! Knowing me, I would walk out there with the system on and get drenched. I'm just way to scatter brained to remember to shut the thing off every morning. Plus, my dogs wander in and out of the yard, so none of these would work for me. I'm hoping my dogs being around at night would keep predators away; however, I know a heron would stop in very sneakily, and have a feast if the fish were unaware, and wreak havoc in a short period of time, dogs probably would not even know it was there, they are so quiet. I'm praying they don't think about stopping in at my bed and breakfast! Stay out at the local hotel (farm pond) instead!!!
Many years ago Cathy was driving along a SW Louisiana country road boardered on both sides by rice fields. She said suddenly a giant blue heron landed directly in her path. Thanfully she was able to stop. As her story goes the massive heron stood there looking at her, did not move an inch. Despite blowing the cars horn the bird refused to yield. Reminds me of the marching band on the song America. In about 10 minutes the heron took flight. Cathy adamantly believes the wingspan was nearly as wide as our car.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm surprised at that Lou as usually they are so spooked by anything! Maybe it was deaf............yikes I hope a deaf one doesn't show up at my pond as my loud radio would not effect him/her at all!

Reaction score
I will have to dig up some of my raccoon videos...lol In the city here they are massive and make a real mess. They will just walk across my waterfall and stuff will fall everywhere. When the pond was just stared we had some return hoses going back into the pond with rocks on them... well didn’t they start digging at them and knock the hose out of the pond, and why does this happen when one is out of town? (Lost 2 feet of water that weekend). I have now installed a security system so I can view my pond online or from my phone. I also use the ultrasonic thing but as I mentioned in a earlier post, they are not as people friendly as they say. You do not want it on when you are in the yard. You may not hear it but it can damage your ears. You will feel the frequency and it will give you a headache. I just put mine on a timer to go on late at night.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Big Lou said:
I meant to write "American Pie".
Love that song Lou. Maybe play this song on a loud speaker to all the critters.............the neighbors will appreciate it too day after day. Bye Bye Critters :LOL:

Ask a Question