Memories of our old Pond

Reaction score
Four years ago we bought the place we are currently living in, it wasn't till last year we started working on a new pond.
It sure was sad to have to abandon our old pond, but at least we still have some pictures and video.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow very nice, beautiful fish, now you can make it better.................................and better and better................love the turtle and the plants and the dragon fly and and and

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really cool video and fun watching the toad eat the grubs! That was a very pretty pond w/ lots of nice plants and fish and I seen your cute turtles. Was it in B.C also? CCR is one of my favorite sounds! Noticed you had water lettuce and water hyacinth growing in there. Why can't I grow it here? Maybe you were in a hot part of B.C? It does not get very warm here but I'm gonna give the water hyacinth another try I think.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep it in a tight loop, as much sun as possible. Make the loop bigger as they grow

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I am gonna do just like you say addy and coral them all together and beg the sun to come around here more often this year!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine grew best stuffed into one of the tiny stream ponds. When they escaped out of the rope in the pond they started to look bad ow nice and green and flowering. The stream pond ones flowered a lot.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll make sure there are no escapee's from the roped area. Don't have a stream to put them in so they better behave themselves wherever I put them!

Reaction score
Our old place is about 30 miles away from where we live now, and we do get some pretty hot summers their (here) in the Okanagan area. But I used a few tricks to jump start my water hyacinth.
First of all I would buy some from a supplier as early in the season as I could. Finding the right guy who had them earlier than everybody else clued me into the next trick. You see this guy had greenhouse ponds, and he would get his water hyacinth a month or two before everybody else and put them in his greenhouse ponds to let them grow and multiply. To help accelerate their growth he would also dump fertilizer in the pond water. With the heat in the greenhouse and the nutrient rich water the hyacinth would take off and in a month or two he had an almost unlimited supply to sell to his customers.
When I found out what he was doing I begged him to give me some of his initial stock, he was a little reluctant at first, but he relented. Then I stole his idea. I did exactly what he did, I had my own greenhouse and put them in tubs of water with 20/20/20 fertilizer, and boy did they grow fast. After about a week or two they would double in size and numbers, and before long it was just a mater of removing the excess ones to make room for new ones to grow. Of course all the excess ones would go straight into the pond. By the time the outside pond water warmed up enough for them to grow well, it was already heavily stocked. By mid summer I had so many I was not only giving tons away, but I actually had to start thinning them out of the pond and throwing them in the compost.
Unfortunately I don't have a greenhouse where we are now, but I plan to build some kind of little hothouse for a water tub so I can start some water hyacinth as early as possible. I hope I can still acquire some early from that guy, I kind of lost contact with him.

Here is a couple links to pictures of the top pond from my old place, I let them grow thicker in there than the bottom pond.
http://southokanagan...s/upperpond.JPG
http://southokanagan.../upperpond2.JPG

And here's a timelapse video I made of my water hyacinth blooming.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would work. I think I am skipping them this year, going try other plants. The big pond ones grew nice and green, lots of plants, bloomed off and on. The stream pond, they bloomed like crazy.

Ebay has them on sell right now if you want to try and get some to start.

Reaction score
Great 'old' pond Mucky, The turtle was fascinating. We would love a turtle, but afraid it would be nipping our
fish. Did you have any problems like this with the turtle?
I also like the way the water flows off your waterfall, very nice.
We have a biological pond in the back, where we raise hyacinths and rotate them back and forth between
ponds cause our koi aggressively eat the roots. Your hyacinths look very healthy.

Lucky you, now you'll be able to put in another pond, the new pond will even be better.
When does the 'dig' begin for the new pond?

Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses, water gardening can be such an enjoyable hobby.

Joann your pond has been an inspiration to my wife and I for many years, as I’m sure it has been to many other aspiring ponders.
Your Koi are the Lords of their domain, and as such I would fear for the well being of any small turtle who might try to take up residence in your pond. My guess is the Koi would probably initially treat a turtle like a water hyacinth and aggressively try to nibble his legs off. Sooner or later they would come to realize there’s no food value in him and leave him alone, but the real question would be if the turtle would ever get comfortable with all those big bullies around?
The only real problem I had with keeping turtles in the old pond was their propensity to wander off. Turtles can be somewhat territorial with each other as they get older and we had one (the one you see in the video) that decided he was King turtle and use to challenge the other turtles. His challenge ritual simply consisted of swimming up face to face with another turtle and rapidly waving his front feet in front of his face. No biting or anything like that. The waving seemed to be enough to send the other turtle swimming away like he saw a ghost. I guess it was enough to establish who was top dog of that pond because all the others eventually wandered off never to be seen from again.
Although our turtles never bothered our goldfish or koi, they did eat most of the small fry and tadpoles we caught and put into the pond. But I think even your big koi would probably do the same, wouldn’t they?
The biggest problem I had with critters not getting along in our pond was a perch that we had. He was quite small when we put him in, but after a year or two he grew to about 6” long. The problem was perch don’t eat fish food, they only eat live things. Well when he was small he was content to eat mosquito larva and any bugs that happened along, but as he got bigger there just wasn’t enough in that small pond to keep him happy even though we use to feed him a lot of worms and other bugs, but that only made him grow bigger. Eventually he started to turn on the small goldfish. Even the smallest goldfish were too big for him to fit in his mouth, but that didn’t stop him from tearing bits off their fins. One poor little fantail goldfish was his favourite target. We eventually had to catch the perch and released him into the wild. Live and learn.
So to answer your question, I don’t think a young turtle would be any threat to your beautiful koi, but I still couldn’t guarantee how well it would work out from the turtle’s point of view. However being the experimenter that I am, I’d sure like to see you give it a try. It would personally be a thrill to see some new pictures or video of your pond with a turtle happily basking on a nearby log, and know that maybe I had something to do with that. J
To answer your other question, we already started our new pond last spring.
In fact we filled it up with water just in time to shut it down before freeze up last fall. I started a thread in the “Introductions” section of this forum entitled “Getting back into water gardening”, but as usual I have a video for everything and, if your curious, the best way to see what we have so far is check out this video.
Last year was an enormous amount of work with all the digging and cement work involved in building the courtyard area in which the pond is enclosed. This year promises to be a little more satisfying as we get to actually be more involved with landscaping and stocking the pond, and of course we’ll hopefully be able to relax a little more and enjoy the courtyard. J

Reaction score
Mucky, That's amazing, you have truly created an outdoor retreat.
It so cozy and unique. I love it. It looks like you get a lot enjoyment
as well as a lot of fair weather to enjoy the outdoor room.

I know my koi wouldn't hurt a turtle, but I think the turtle would
be scared of the big koi. Where Cliff goes fishing, there are a lot of turtles.
I told him if you see a baby bring it home as long as it's not a snapper.
It's was cool seeing your little turtle, he sure looks like he's packed
with a lot of attitude! For that matter so does your toad! LOL...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mucky, Can't wait to see your new pond in action in Spring/Summer! What a nice spot to be able to relax and enjoy in.

I have a green house and wonder at what temp I can actually try and put the hyacinth out there to see if they will grow? I don't want to run a heater in there, just want to wait till it is safe to put them in there whenever the sun decides to warm things up. How big were your tubs that you used and how much of the 20/20/20 did you use in them and how often?

Gonna try some in the house to overwinter maybe also next fall w/ sissy's way of doing it too. She doesn't put any fertilizer in them over the winter and just sets them in a window in a tub and hers survive. Think CliffandJoann do something also to save some over winter if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction score
JW I just used a couple regular kitchen sink sized tubs and about a 1/2 teaspoon of fertilizer every week or so, if I remember correctly. I guess I should mention I did have a small 100 gal. in ground pond in the greenhouse too, where I off loaded some of the extra hyacinth. That pond didn’t work as well as the tubs for growing the hyacinth initially because the water didn’t get as warm because it was cooled by the ground, but it did work as a transition container for the hyacinth between the tubs and the outside pond, so probably the bigger tubs you could use the better.

Also I did have a small space heater in my greenhouse, but I sectioned off the pond area to isolate it and only heated that small area where the tubs and the pond were. I only used it very early in the spring for maybe about a month or so. I use to aim the space heater at the tubs to directly warm them. But what might work even better is if you had something like a aquarium heater, or heat pad under the tubs, to just keep the water in the tubs warm.

I tried one winter to keep some water hyacinth in a aquarium in the house with 3 small turtles. Even used a large professional grow light, but they didn’t survive for me, not sure what I did wrong. I know the turtles didn’t bother them, they were well fed and never ever nipped at the hyacinth. If anything, I think the water may have been too cool, because it was near a window and I didn’t heat it.
Now that I’m getting back into ponding I may try again.

Joan I look forward to seeing pictures of a turtle in your pond.
It might also be amusing if you could post some video of Cliff trying to catch a turtle, it can be a little challenging. J

Ask a Question