addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is christmas card beautiful. Fantastic job you have done.

hand_applause.gif
hand_applause.gif
hand_applause.gif
hand_applause.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the info Mucky and I have some old aquarium heaters I could use to try and help them get started in the green house so maybe I will give that a try.

Reaction score
Ebay has them on sell right now if you want to try and get some to start.
Thanks Addy, but unfortunately ebay.ca doesn't list any for sale, and I doubt I could get them shipped across the border from ebay.com.
It's still a little cold here now anyway, and I still have to build a little greenhouse to keep them in. I'll probably have to wait at least another month. (I still have 8" of ice on the pond)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
opps forgot you were in canada. I had a little ice on the pond, even with the bog running. It went from 45 yesterday to 38 this am, now back up to 43. The sun on the bog warms it nicely, just like the cool air across the bog water flow cools it at night. The fish do not seem to care.

Reaction score
Love the pond, very cozy and relaxing, and i see why the toad was so fat..lol :LOL:
OK, I wasn't going to say anything,but you're the third one to refer to her as a "toad", it's not you're fault, nor her's. It was our fault.
You see, she is not actually a toad, rather she is just a very fat, overly indulged female Columbia Spotted Frog.
http://www.env.gov.b...bia-spotted.htm
She was a great pet too. My wife got a real kick out of showing people how she was so tame that you could pet her. Like the turtle, she was the only frog that stuck around year after year. I was always very relieved to see her make her first appearance each spring, and even more thrilled to see she remembered us and would still allow us to hand feed her and pet her. Something you could never do with wild ones.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That would be so neat to have a frog like that and be able to actually pet it w/ it not being scared of you! Was she like that from the moment you first noticed her out there? I found that they are living in the Eastern part of our state but couldn't find where it said they would be found on our west side of the mountains.

Reaction score
That would be so neat to have a frog like that and be able to actually pet it w/ it not being scared of you! Was she like that from the moment you first noticed her out there? I found that they are living in the Eastern part of our state but couldn't find where it said they would be found on our west side of the mountains.
Hey J.W.
No she wasn't like that from the beginning, it's hard to say when she became tame like that because initially we tried our best to just leave the frogs alone and not disturb them, we didn't feed them, and we certainly never thought to try and pet them. The first winter after introducing frogs we had 3 frogs that managed to over wintered in our pond, by the second winter she was the only one left and by then we had started to feed her once in a while. Then one day I came home and my wife called me out to the pond to show me something, that's when she proceeded to pet her. She didn't seem to mind at all, in fact it was almost as though she enjoyed the attention. After that she just became one of the family and everyone use to feed her, that's why she ended up so fat and looking very much like a toad.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine see me coming peep and plop into the pond, poof gone. The only one I have been able to get near is the pickerel frog, they freeze as a defense.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I heard something outside yesterday from the pond area. Sounded like croaking so went out there very quiet like and detected appx where it was coming from. Frog must have been hidden under a gap in the rocks cuz I never saw him but sure heard him. Just glad he is there being a frog in my pond :D

Reaction score
The few times I heard frog croaking in around our pond, it came from visiting tree frogs, unfortunately the sound those Columbia Spotted Frogs made was virtually inaudible over the over the sound of the waterfall.
Here is what they sounded like. http://www.californi...ris.sounds.html
If you have trouble hearing the recordings on that page, don't feel you have to adjust your volume, because they really were hard to hear.

Ask a Question