Mink attack before winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh no! I'm very sorry for the loss of your fish :( From what I've read, both mink and otters, are difficult to deter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Cold temperature slows metabolism of fish.... they cannot regenerate wounds in the cold... and that means they are definitely going to get infected when the temperature rises slightly to where the bacteria is functioning but the metabolism is not.. Dave54's description of wound cleaning is very good. Washing in clean water and bleeding is key.

Any wounded fish should be brought in for the winter and placed in a 60-70 temperature hospital tank. When they are fully healed, I would move them to a garage where the temp drops down to the 40s for the rest of the winter till you are able to move them to the pond in spring.

As for the minks... its time to get an electric fence for that pond. The minks will never do this again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Update.....The mink got every single last fish :( was a huge let down once the ice melted to see a barren pond beneath. Very disheartening to loose all my fish that I've had for years but what can you do I guess, minks gotta eat too.Talked to my neighbor who put down an electric fence and it still got all his fish as well. I designed it so well against other natural predators but I never saw this crafty s.o.b coming. Effortlessly got passed nets, electric wire, pellet guns, dogs & traps.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Effortlessly got passed nets, electric wire, pellet guns, dogs & traps.
Wow. Sorry to hear. I guess I am glad I am only dealing with the blue heron. At least a net works for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've read people's stories about minks, and they're pretty relentless predators. They're especially fine hunters in the winter, as they're warm blooded and move quickly, where as the fish are cold blooded and very slow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Update.....The mink got every single last fish :( was a huge let down once the ice melted to see a barren pond beneath. Very disheartening to loose all my fish that I've had for years but what can you do I guess, minks gotta eat too.Talked to my neighbor who put down an electric fence and it still got all his fish as well. I designed it so well against other natural predators but I never saw this crafty s.o.b coming. Effortlessly got passed nets, electric wire, pellet guns, dogs & traps.

Do not underestimate an electric fence. It needs to be done right.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately I do not have an indoor option large enough for them...They are acting normal so I think/hope they will pull through the winter...I did notice one of the smaller koi has a growth on its eye so I might try and get that one out and into a smaller quarantine for the winter. Now that they aren't eating and staying near the bottom I don't know how i'll catch it though. As far as damages go, they are banged up but they should be good....But not if this mink is still around. I'll have some serious repairs to do on my liner in the spring because of its claws, and at its current kill rate I wont have any fish left by December. Its proving to be a worthy adversary. I've seen it now play inside the trap, then swish through my nets, swan dive off the waterfall into the pond, grab a fish and run away all before me, my son and dog can get there. I think it knows now the mood has changed cause I've been hunting him (drinkin beer on my back deck holding a pellet gun) for 2 days now and no sightings.
I don’t blame you for being mad. Those fish are part of your family. From what I’ve heard the mink won’t stop terrorizing your fish till all of them are gone. Two of my neighbors have had their ponds wiped out by a mink. They are also wanting to shoot it with a pellet gun. I’m worried bout putting hole in liner. They say the water stops the pellet from going thru liner. Good luck to you.

Ask a Question