Montmorillonite clay how many members use it and of its importance to koi and goldfish

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Dave, plain unscented 100% pure BENTONITE clay kitty litter has many of the same properties of koi clay or montmorillonite clay. montmorilinite clay is a bentonite clay...but its a higher minerally dense clay than most because of the region its mined from...
http://koiclay.com/
now, as i said, its not as nutrient dense, as "koi clay" but it is beneficial too. and you must grind it to a powder...i used to do this in my fry ponds.(ground it in an old blender)..then i started using koivital, it is easier and doesnt cloud water at all. altho it isnt a flocculant, i wasnt interested in water clarity in fry ponds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
To this day I've never come across an unsented kitty litter in the UK koiGuy believe you me weve tried I remember big disussions between the UK anoxic converts as to what they could use instead .
The clay we have here in the southwest has a very rich calcium and mineral content so you could say we are blessed there.
Kusuri koi which is A south West major success story with connections to our club exports to Europe the US and Japan itself so next time your near a dealership why not try what the West Country has to offer or even buy it online if you havent a stockist near to you....

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
we have 100% bentonite clay kitty litter available here almost anywhere. any walmart, pet store, etc... i am a nickle a dime ponder.. anytime you put the word pond on a lable the price skyrockets. i can get koiclay less than a mile from home. i like the koivital myself...it helps induce spawning. cant afford to buy all the fancy stuff. i use what i can, and i gotta say so far with quite satisfactory results. you may want to check out koi vital. i stock up at seasons end clearence sales.
walmart has 25pound bags of 100% bentonite clay litter for like $3.00

Last edited:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually this year i am contemplating setting up a mud pond so to speak..a 650gallon pool with. 6 0r so bags of kitty litter with a large bag of very fine zeolite granules blended thru. get a few bundles of nacharis or horn wort and "plant" them around the pond in individual strands. problem being i wouldnt want to leave it up thru the winter. and it would be a chore to clean the pool for storage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
actually this year i am contemplating setting up a mud pond so to speak..a 650gallon pool with. 6 0r so bags of kitty litter with a large bag of very fine zeolite granules blended thru. get a few bundles of nacharis or horn wort and "plant" them around the pond in individual strands. problem being i wouldnt want to leave it up thru the winter. and it would be a chore to clean the pool for storage.
Cant wait to hear about your results KoiGuy I've heard great things about growth rates in them

Dave

Ask a Question