sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why do you want a pressure filter if you are going to have a bio filter.You have some good shade at least and the fish will be a lot happier

Reaction score
sissy said:
why do you want a pressure filter if you are going to have a bio filter.You have some good shade at least and the fish will be a lot happier

Because we would have to have ALOT of space to put additional bio filters (which we don't have). The 50 gallon addition will be great but won't support 5,000 + gallons. With the pressure system we can bury it partially and save some space.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your going to need a big pressurized filter aren't you and I know they can be expensive .On the new pond Around 20x 30 I only put in 1 stock tank a large one but so far the water is very clean and this pond was muck green for over 2 years as that is how long the house was empty .I was not even sure there where fish in there until we had to drain it .Took almost 2 feet of muck out of the bottom

Reaction score
sissy said:
your going to need a big pressurized filter aren't you and I know they can be expensive .On the new pond Around 20x 30 I only put in 1 stock tank a large one but so far the water is very clean and this pond was muck green for over 2 years as that is how long the house was empty .I was not even sure there where fish in there until we had to drain it .Took almost 2 feet of muck out of the bottom

Yeah, we were looking at the Artesian Pro 1/2hp pump and I don't know the name of the filter, but it is basically the same as the Advantage 10 bead filter. My husband is the one insisting on the filter, though I do like the space aspect of it. We can't located the filters/pump anywhere but in the right corner behind the falls. We have a garden on one side of the house and a dog run on the other rest of the yard is landscaped so no remote location.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice vision pond, that is going to look great

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is going to be some build too do not want your sore backs legs and arms ,Hope you can get the block delivered close to where you need it as that will really be some work out your going to get .I know did my pond with block 2 1/2 below ground and 2 feet above ground ,I picked up the block from lowes and then had to use my lawn mower and cart from my truck to over a hundred feet away not easy I can tell you .I don't envy the work you have ahead of you .You will have nightmares about retaining wall block .lol

Reaction score
Yeah, not looking forward to that part :lol: My house in only on 1/4 acre so we could get it delivered to the front yard and just wheelbarrow it to the back. Much less excited about the digging, have nightmares from the first build!

I am still a little concerned that 24" is too tall for a raised pond but seems to be how the pavers will work out. We considered doing the cinder blocks with caps and mortaring fascia on them (cheaper) but since we are not masons, might be safer to pay more for a cookie cutter material more guaranteed to last and look right .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond has retaining wall block and they have the locking lip on the back if you were to go over 36 inches may be some lighter block will not work .Hope you get the kind with the lip on the back much easier to work with and make sure you have 2 levels and sand has the base and make sure to pack it down and that is level ,if that is not level pond will not be .A good level base is a good start from there on easy

Reaction score
we were gonna do a strip of level concrete as a base all around (using bending board to form it), that is what the pond place said to do. On the other hand the supply place said we needed to just bury the first row of pavers down six inches. Not sure that makes sense to me totally..again, I'm not a contractor or mason so any help here is appreciated!!!

Sissy, do you have any pics?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jenn. said:
we were gonna do a strip of level concrete as a base all around (using bending board to form it), that is what the pond place said to do. On the other hand the supply place said we needed to just bury the first row of pavers down six inches. Not sure that makes sense to me totally..again, I'm not a contractor or mason so any help here is appreciated!!!

Sissy, do you have any pics?

You don't have the freeze thaw we have, you could put the block on a layer of sand, the sand makes it easier to level the blocks. Having the first row down six inches adds some stability to the wall.

Reaction score
If I can avoid the whole cement step that would be awesome! How think of a layer of sand do you need? The blocks we were looking at I think came in 2 different brands. 1 had holes down the center to put re-bar in and the other were whole so I am guessing mortar? I now they must be supported somehow!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used 2-3 inches, you probably could get away with 1 inch. It is mainly to level out the ground. The landscape blocks at home depot, lowes have a locking lip. You might not need to do any mortar. They come in different colors textures etc. I think they can be up to 3 feet high when holding back dirt without any additional support. I would think they would do ok with water, but you may want to ask. (I have only used with dirt)

If you use the blocks you have looked at I would go with the ones with holes, use some rebar and cement in the holes to make it real stable.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put down 4 inches of sand and hand tamped and it seems to have held up fine for almost 4 years now I also used to have my small preformed pond in the other retaining wall and is now a garden

Attachments

• splendors gate 014.jpg
    splendors gate 014.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 278
  • new pics of house 011.jpg
    new pics of house 011.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 281

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the pond I have now is where the yellow pots are and has worked out fine I do have a layer of concrete block on the inside reason for that was I wanted to hide the liner between the block and the wall

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
trying to show it here other reason was I wanted a bridge this is a last year pic and have changed waterfalls and filters again

Attachments

• new waterfall 012.jpg
    new waterfall 012.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 352

Ask a Question