Mosquitos, chlorine, and pond liners for pond/water feature

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I know some folks here don't like Gambusia, but since they are indigenous to So Carolina, why not?

Don't feed them, let the birds eat them and or reduce the population occasionally yourself.

Just my $0.02...

MSH

Reaction score
The addition of salt will not reduce the occurrence of frogs, it will only kill them and others will come nor will salt have any appreciable effect on algae growth. There are species of algae for every water salinity level.
Your best bet is the use of Chlorine tabs like those used in swimming pools. Same effect with frogs but it will control algae.Chlorine does have a negative effect on the integrity of EPDM but with a "C" rating it should not cause any problem for years.
You will still need to maintain some level of water movement for Chlorine does not always kill mosquito larvae.
When you say years... how many? I don't have (or think) I have a mosquito problem since water is flowing well and did have frogs.. so was thinking the mosquito tablets

MSH

Reaction score
I know some folks here don't like Gambusia, but since they are indigenous to So Carolina, why not?

Don't feed them, let the birds eat them and or reduce the population occasionally yourself.

Just my $0.02...
I had to look that fish up. :)
I was told brim would do the same? Eat tadpoles...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
When you say years... how many? I don't have (or think) I have a mosquito problem since water is flowing well and did have frogs.. so was thinking the mosquito tablets

I think that the life of the liner exposed to Chlorine would be determined by the solution strength of the Chlorine.You would not need the same level of Chlorine ass used in swimming pools since the control of aquatic pathogens would not be of the same level of importance as in a human immersion venue.

Mosquito dunks, either tablet or granular will control mosquitoes.

Update: Did some quick research. It seems-
-that Chloramine causes greater degradation in EPDM than Chlorine.
-that low pH and high temperatures support higher degradation. (test case in Japan revealed a usable life of about 3 years at high 45C-65C temperatures when exposed to Chlorine treated city water).

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Checked with pondliner 45 mil liner and they say they will not warranty the liner if you use chlorine .They say long term use may harm the liner over time .But they do not state how much chlorine .If it is very low dose I can't see it harming it ( pool liners I guess are different ).They say it can dry out the liner .Plus advantages of chlorine means frogs or snakes would stay away from the water feature .Only thing is no plants would survive .Mosquito dunks just float around .Plus notice you say liner but not what kind

I had some structural challenges so will probably buy the liner next week. Hardware store has 0.5mm liner but considering spending more to get Firestone 1.02mm EPDM.

Latest inputs are I need to also worry about Cane toads, so now more focused on chlorine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I think chlorine and salt are your best friends. Forget fish unless you plan to keep fish.

Ask a Question