Moving K1 bed

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Planning on making a moving bed with K1 micro. I already have a 3600l air pump i want to use as that's currently pumping a airstone in the pond.
If I use the air pump only in the moving bed, would that also be enough to oxygenate the pond also?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I do have a Air Flow Control Distributor. What if i used it to move the moving bed during the day and pond at night?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Planning on making a moving bed with K1 micro. I already have a 3600l air pump i want to use as that's currently pumping a airstone in the pond.
If I use the air pump only in the moving bed, would that also be enough to oxygenate the pond also?

It is all the same water. Why wouldn't it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Under your present configuration, you would be pumping water from the lower oxygenated bottom of the pond through the floating bed where it would be oxygenated and then returned to the surface of the pond. Same results are your air stones only a more circuitous means of accomplishing the same thing. A floating bed filter should be operational 24/7/365 as any other biofilter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You are moving the water upward by way of the filter. The goal is to oxygenate the water. As long as your pump is on the bottom of the pond you will achieve the same results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
A surface skimmer probably helps oxygenation as much as an aerator by keeping oil sheen off so the water can contract the air. If the fish act oxygen starved adding an aerator or a flooming pump is easy enough.

Ask a Question